News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'74 ELDO convt.

Started by Viator Trudeau, January 23, 2016, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

A few weeks ago I posted on left exh. pipe rubbing on torsion bar.  On second look, pipe was rubbing on the floor board too far up.  The pipe has been installed some years ago??
I do not know where it was first located.  As a temporary fix I added 1/4" shim between frame and mount on right side.  This lowered the pipe down giving adequate space between floor board and bar.  In near future new mounts will be installed.
V.Trudeau   #8697

On second look it was touching the floor board on the left side

Scot Minesinger

The exhaust has a fairly decent adjustment range on the Eldorado.  Better to adjust exhaust than to raise body with frame shim.  When working on a 72 Eldorado I suffered same issue, but was able to adjust exhaust rather than body in relation to frame.

The steering column is connected to body, steering gear is mounted to frame.  Any adjustment to frame-body alignment needs to be accounted for in steering column alignment and coupling with steering gear. 

Did you just shim front corner or entire side of car?  If this shim put it back to normal it is time to replace the body mounts.  I find the back four body mounts are first to go.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Viator Trudeau

RE: exh. pipe clearance,  Scott, I shimmed under the right motor mount only.  Since the engine has two mounts at the front and one at the rear any lifting of the motor (shim) on the right front would lower the left side.  This gave me good space between floor board and exh. pipe.  As it was, it was really noisy.My shimming lets me drive it with out the noise.  When I replace both front mounts I hope I do not loose the clearance above the left side pipe. The pipe noise came about very slowly as the motor mount deteriorated.

V. Trudeau

Scot Minesinger

That should be fine, I thought you meant body to frame mounts.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Raising up one side of the engine also changes the relative relationship of the Fan to the Radiator Shroud, the CV Joints, etc, etc.

Better off getting the Exhaust altered to fit correctly.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon