News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

87 COUPE DEVILLE FAKE CONVERT ROOF - ANY GOOD PROTECTANTS ????

Started by nanaimogene, January 24, 2016, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanaimogene

I have tried various top treatments and they all wash off at first rain.  When I treat my Caddys vinyl  fake convertible roof which is black it  goes from grey/black to a beautiful jet black. First rainfall (even parked) it washes off and back to grey/black. I checked online and even the more expensive treatments wash off according to users, Can you imagine if you waxed your car and it washed off in the rain. The dollar store protectant   works better then the very expensive treatments but it too washes off.  I know don't drive in the rain. Any solutions ??

936CD69

I've used 303 Protectant with great results on my 93's roof
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Dan LeBlanc

Just make sure whatever you use is not silicone based.  It will cause the preservatives in the vinyl to leech out and dry out the top.

303 is one of the best you can buy and you can also get their cleaner for the top.  It's a good water repellant and you'll know it's time to reapply when water doesn't bead and roll off as well as it used to:

http://www.autogeek.net/303vincontop.html
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

nanaimogene

Thanks I give it a try. Some online said 303 washes off too. But I trust this club and will give it a try and report the results. Gene