News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fitting 1950s' Cadillacs to open trailer?

Started by Bill Caddyshack, January 29, 2016, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

I am looking at Featherlite and ATC open trailers for our 1950s Cadillacs. I see that width of the cars is about 80 inches. An 8'6" wide trailer has 79 "  between the fenders. Since the track is 61" this would clear the trailer fenders, but the body overhang would be close. Fenders are removable, so loading should not be a problem, but how close are the fenders when back in place with one of our big, wide cars?

Also, should I be looking at an 18 foot trailer? Or 20 foot?

I might be looking at a deckover also. This  would give me 102" width. A little higher center of gravity, but not sure that matters. I would be pulling with a GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually diesel. Kight even go gooseneck. I do have a GN Hitch in the GMC as well as bumper pull.

Dan LeBlanc

My setup is an F-350 6.8L V-10 extended cab, short box, SRW with a 21' open trailer (equipment hauler), 12,500 total trailer weight (trailer is steel construction, 2200lbs).  The 61 and 53 fit on just fine.  It's a little snug in the width, but not bad.  I park the car with the back of the front door just forward of the fender and I can get in and out just fine.  If the car is centred on the trailer, I've got about 3" on either side between the fenders. 

The trailer has a 3' beavertail, 5' ramps, and uses a conventional hitch.  I have had zero issues towing it (been to Hershey with it twice) and drug a couple cars home with it.  I went with the equipment hauler for the heavier axles and 16" wheels.  With a 5000lb car on it, a regular car hauler would've been pushing the total trailer weight limit and I didn't want to risk bending an axle. 

The trailer was about $5400 in 2013.  It was only $1000 more than a similar sized car hauler but I have bigger wheels and axles and much more towing capacity than I would need.

I would not recommend an 18'.  Just too short.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan LeBlanc

The truck in this photo has been replaced but you get the idea. And yes, I prefer the V-10 for towing as opposed to the 7.3 diesel in the picture.  The current truck has a 4.30 rear axle ratio and the Banks Power Pack system - cold air intake, 4" exhaust, headers, programmer, and shift computer.  It makes just as much HP and torque in it's current configuration than a 7.3 diesel, no turbo lag to deal with, cheaper fuel, easier maintenance, and for the 2 or 3 times per year I'll tow, it'll outlast me.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Looks like you have plenty of truck so lots of options.    I would guess the loading angles is what it may come down to.  The deck overs tend to be heavier duty so you would likely have plenty of headroom so the higher center of gravity should not really be a problem.    When I have used them I was hauling trucks so the clearance on the way on was not a problem but would be something you want to check before you buy.   

I'm not sure how you would be able to measure or check the loading clearance.  Maybe build a wooden mock up to start with?   I'm thinking maybe 2x4's to make the length including the bumpers then a couple more boards with some small wheels?   You could build it in your driveway so it matched the ground clearance of your current car,  maybe compare it to others if you have them around, maybe a couple different mounting holes to simulate a couple cars?    Then make it easy to take apart and throw it in the truck and go shopping.    Couple bolts and you could try rolling it up into trailers in the sales lot.   Guessing that would save some time and narrow it down to fewer models that look like they have the best clearance before you try it for real. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bill,
Go with the widest deck possible. The 50's Cads are VERY wide. It's not worth damaged parts. I tow with a GMC  2500HD diesel SRW. Your trunk is more than enough to handle a tag along. Use a leveling hitch & sway bar. Go with a 20 or 22 foot trailer.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

BigBarko

Hi Bill,

Here is my 56 on a 80" wide and 18' long Featherlite.  It is close on the fenders and 20' would have been very appreciated.  Since I took this I bought a dovetail which heaven when loading these long old girls.

Chris

1938 Cadillac Series Sixty Special 38-60S
1947 Cadillac Series Sixty One
1956 Cadillac Series Sixty Special Fleetwood
1962 Cadillac Park Avenue Town Sedan
1978 Chevy C30 Camper Special (car trailer tugboat)

gary griffin

Weight capacity is as important as length. Wider is best too. I have had a variety of car and equipment trailers and have even had to put planks under the wheels of the drivers side to raise the car a little so the door could be opened. I had 20 foot Wells Cargo for 4 motorcycles and small cars but if you are only going to haul a car with an enclosed trailer figure where the drivers door will be when loaded and have a door installed in the side of the trailer there also so you can get out after you drive the car in. Boss wants me to trailer the 1942-6719 to the GN in Vegas but it is my hope that I can drive it??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

Chris in your photo the car/engine position vs trailer axles looks like it would make for a lot of tongue weight.  Is your 'new' trailer similar?     Was the one in the photo sold as a car hauler or just general purpose?   It would be cool if those were like some boat trailers and semis where you could shift the axle depending on the load.    Other fix for that is just get a dually where you almost can't have too much tongue weight.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

lou-q

We have a 22 foot  Featherlite car hauler with 102 width and a 40' Featherlite toy hauler also 102 wide. The car hauler has 7000# torsion axles with 16" wheels. The toy hauler has 8000# torsion axles with 17.5" wheels. Our 67 convertible fits on the carhauler with no problem and the fenders are removable. I haven't tried to load the 67 in the toy hauler yet but the distance between the fenders is about the same, but the fenders are fixed. I'll be loading the 67 in the toy hauler in April when we go up to our farm in Indiana.
If you are looking to buy a new Featherlite I recommend Spencer Trailers in Spencer, Indiana. I did quite a bit of research on Featherlite nationwide and they were by far cheaper than all the rest by a few thousand dollars.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Joe Konarowski

One thing to remember when loading a car on a trailer is that when you are on the road the car will bounce up and down. So make sure you have room for movement between the trailer fenders and the car when on the road.