News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CHROME WIRE WHEELS

Started by Virgil Perkins, October 27, 2016, 10:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil Perkins

I would appreciate hearing about members' experience with various chrome wire wheels for Cadillac and suggestions based upon proven knowledge. Currently looking for either 52 or 48 spoke chrome wire wheel for my 1941 6019SF. I have some info regarding Tru Spoke and Dayton but not enough. Please do not include the wheels sold by Coker, as these are what I have just removed from my car. In particular I would like to know about the reliability of spokes. THANKS in advance for your time and input.
Virgil Perkins, Perk's Garage, Indy
Virgil Perkins

35-709

Coker Tire bought Wheel Vintiques several years ago, they are STILL having trouble with their wheels?  I bought a custom set of Wheel Vintiques for my '35 Cadillac resto-mod in about 2010.  Soon after the car was put on the road in January of 2011 the heads of the chrome spokes started breaking off.  Wheel Vintiques/Coker were good about fixing them but the problem was ongoing, I bought 5 wheels and one was always back in California (shipped from Florida on my dime) for repairs. 

I finally got my money back (purchased them through JEGS) and ordered a complete set from Wheelsmith --- they knew what the problem was with my Wheel Vintiques wheels right away when I described what was happening, it having to do with how the spokes were "set" during the building of the wheel.  I have had zero problems since with my Wheelsmiths. 

I wouldn't care to have wire wheels on any car again that I use regularly (such as Big Red - my '35), they are an absolute pain to keep clean and the chrome finish on the hubs and rims needs regular attention to keep it from deteriorating quickly since they live down there in the dirt, water and mud being sandblasted with it constantly.  For a show car, fine --- for a car that gets driven, never.

By the way --- get stainless spokes.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

Tru-Spoke and Dayton are both old time names and should be a good choice.

walt chomosh #23510

Virgil,
  I'm with 35-709 in regards to stainless spokes along with long time players like Tru-Spoke and Dayton. On my 55CDV  I have a set of "mac-daddy" wheels. He claimed that the wheels were built by his shop but they may have been outsourced locally in California. Irregardless they have served me well. I went from the stock hubcaps (straightened and polished with new medallions ) to the spoke wheels and definitely raised the bar quite a bit on my Cadillac. I have been into Harleys for almost 40yrs and always run spoked wheels. Are they a pain....YES! Are they classic....YES! Are they a better wheel then solid wheels....NO! ....but they sure are beautiful!(as you know).....walt...Tulsa,ok

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hard to clean, YES! That's why my '81 Seville has a set of NOS standard wheel covers. It takes about five-ten minutes per wheel to clean compared to ??? to do the fake wires that came with the car. At my age I don't like to get that close to the ground.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

55 cadi

My opinion on these might be irrelevant because of age of use but being from California and in the late 80's and early 90's I heavy in the car culture and most every one I knew with wire wheels only used Dayton's, that's what was on most all the high end cars and custom cars then and the people that had them on say that's the only ones they will use.

Like I said this was some years ago so the making of them might be different.
Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Virgil Perkins

Thank you all for your responses and information. I have made requests for information and quotes, considering all options. Will definitely use stainless spokes. Have obtained appraisals from knowledgeable sources regarding the spoke failure and will be addressing to that end. I still have my original steel wheels, stripped naked and primed, just in case./ [/
Virgil Perkins

Bobby B

Virgil,
Hi. I decided to purchase wire wheels a few years ago when I saw the prices of the "Sombrero" hubcap reproductions, and the thought of mounting new tires on rims from the 40's just didn't make sense to me. Yes, the Sombrero's look era correct and are classy, but the wire wheels just pop on the car with the wide white Firestone tires. I purchased Tru-Spoke Wheels from a vendor right off this site and he was one of the nicest people that I've ever had to deal with when making a purchase for the car. He was very knowledgeable and gave me a real sweet deal on the Tires, Rims,Tubes, and Center Caps. No regrets..... I could never look at the car the same without them. Give Dave Adler a call @ Motorsport in California. You'll be glad you did.  ;)
                                                     Bobby
http://www.hobbycar.com
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

62 driver

I rebuilt as set of 1954 Kelsey Hayes 40 spokes wheels with stainless steel spokes. Love them on my 62.   
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

gross707

Dave,
Who did the rebuild of your Kelsey-Hayes?
Mine could use a refresh.
Gerald Ross

35-709

I'll answer that because I was/am impressed! 

Dave dis-assembled, restored (except for the actual re-chroming) and reassembled them himself, learning about the process along the way.  The searching and researching (not to mention the actual work) took a lot of time and effort.  It was covered in part here, on the Modified Chapter site, and on another Cadillac site about 3 years ago.  No easy chore when one considers he had to learn how to tighten the spokes with special tools and how much to tighten them, figuring out which spokes went where (3 different types, if I recall), truing the wheel so it was perfectly round, etc., etc.  Like I said, I was impressed.  Maybe he will show you all the engine and describe the work he performed on THAT jewel.

Not to mention --- one of my most favorite years, my favorite exterior and interior colors, just a beautiful car in my view, and expertly done.

62 driver

Geoff your words are too kind!  Restoring the wheels were easy once I figured it out. I first made a jig with a wheel that was usable.  I then removed the 4 difference size of spokes for a pattern.    I used a cutting wheel on my hand held grinder and cut the rest of the spokes.  I sent the 4 spokes to Dayton wheels to make the stainless steel spokes and purchased the nipples from them.  I did not know it at that time but they use Buchanans Spokes to make all their spokes. I took the inter and outer rim parts to Linco (714 635-2800) to have them chrome them. I reassemble them using the jig using anti seizing compound. I made the spokes finger tight.  I then use a wheel balancing machine to hand spin the wheel on with a dial indicater. Turning the spokes to with in .050 (I think).  The tighten every 3rd spoke 1/4 turn  until they all torqued 60 INCH pounds.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

gross707

Gerald Ross

35-709

Virgil Perkins

Three more questions, as my research deepens:
1) Has anyone had experience with chrome wire wheels from either Truspoke or Wheelsmith?
2) More spokes = better? (have dug up 48, 52 and 56 spoke quotes, all stainless and same size spokes at 0,240)
3) Has any one traced their spoke failure to the hub flex instead of the spoke or nipple?

I lied, here is #4: What is the load rating on the standard steel wheel for 1941 Cadillac, or does this spec even exist?
Thanks to everyone for replies and responses to date
Virgil Perkins

35-709

As I mentioned in my reply #1, I am very happy with my Wheelsmiths.