News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What kind of trouble will i have with the New Jersey DMV ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, February 04, 2016, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

I sent my vin number to the State of Wisconsin to do a back ground check or a history check on my car  and received a nice letter in the mail today  Stating Vin number could not be found in the records . So I took out my Title and looked very carefully at the Vin number . When I purchased my car I checked the vin number on the frame and made sure it matched the number on the Title . I was more concerned with the last 6 numbers  matched and they did . However the first 4 numbers on my frame read 5762 Meaning year 1957  and the car was a series 62 . However my Title reads 5772XXXXXXXX  It should read 5762xxxxxxx  Somehow along the way the 62 was mistyped  72 .    The vin number on the frame reads 5762xxxxxxx , How do I explain this to the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles now ? . You know they will look at me like I have two Heads . Any Suggestions   ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Classic

Does Wisconsin have records on the correct 5762 VIN?  If so ask them for a replacement title?
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Bobby B

Bill,
Hi. I live in NJ my whole life. Had over 125+ vehicles. My word of advice….Leave the Title just how it is reading "5772" and re-title the car. No harm done for now, you didn't know there was a mistake.  ::)  Unless you get someone who understands and is willing to listen to you, Good Luck. They'll have the PD over there thinking you stole a 1957 Cadillac, hid it in your garage, and now you're looking to title it. In the DMV here, you are guilty unless proven innocent. They think everyone is up to no good. No one will understand that it's the MODEL number of the car, NOT the actual Serial number where the mistake was made. If you're also registering it in NJ, you'll need a tracing of the VIN # and a few pictures taken front, rear, and FULL side, NO angles. One day I made three trips with a handful of pictures and they still weren't happy. Went to a different DMV and they were fine. It's a crapshoot with their moods. Whenever I bring a "Brown" Title to the DMV, they look at me like I have three heads. You have a better chance of hitting your target pissing in the wind.
                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

76eldo

I agree.
Get your new NJ title with the "wrong" number.

If you start off with an old incorrect out of state title you will have problems.

When it arrives, then go back and tell her that there is an error on the VIN.
In Pa there is a form to be completed by an inspection mechanic to verify the VIN and if it's only off by one digit they will correct it but you have to pay the $22.50 or so for a new title.

Not sure about NJ but I hope it's similar.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Balkie 24172

Bobby , this mistake happened 5 years ago , I also have a copy of the title when I purchased the car from a guy in Virginia  That title was issued in 1998 and that also reads 5772xxxxx so the mistake was transferred when I titled the car 5 years ago . The title might of said 5772xxxxxx for 40 years who knows . The mistake was made years ago and was duplicated at every sale .  I would really like to fix it if I can .
Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Brian , this mistake has been duplicated for at least  20 years no one caught it . The title before I owned it said 5772xxxxxx ... one good thing is  there is no such thing as a 5772xxxxxx so it has to be a mistake .
  Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bobby B

[
Quote from: 76eldo on February 04, 2016, 08:19:07 PM

When it arrives, then go back and tell her that there is an error on the VIN.

Brian

Brian,
  That's a nice twist and it could possibly work, but they might go back into the files to re-check it if you go back too early. They always copy the titles and confiscate any paperwork I bring in. Maybe wait a year or so, and go to a different DMV so they don't recognize you.  >:D 
P.S.  I love how we blame "Her" for everything. Just like they do to "Us". ;D
                                                                                                   Bobby
Bill,
I had this problem changing a frame once that was rusted out beyond repair. I called the DMV office in Trenton and spoke to the Big Boys about it. I explained to them that the frame was being replaced due to rust and they re-titled the car with the new Chassis number. All they did was to make sure that the number was out of the system and didn't show up stolen. When it comes to issues like this, it really is worth a trip down to Trenton to visit the REAL DMV. They are way more understanding and accommodating when it comes to problems like this. They actually try to help you out with issues that the local DMV can't handle. The local DMV is going to wind up calling them anyway, so you're better off going to the source. I guarantee you that if you go there and explain yourself, that you will leave there with a corrected title. There are only 3 local DMV's in NJ that do "QQ" Plates. Before that, it was Trenton only. You could mail it all in, which would usually wind up with a return phone call, that some form of information was missing. All the times I showed up there in person, I left there a happy camper with my issues resolved. Most of the guys that work there are Car Guys, and you wind up hanging out and talking shop with them. With this type of situation, I think it's your best bet to go down to Trenton with all your paperwork, proof, pictures, copies of old titles, Vin number tracings, literature regarding the Model, etc. My gut feeling is that you'll leave there with your issue resolved.
                                                                                                                      Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Balkie 24172

Brian And Bobby ,
   I made a impression of the stamping on the frame , I have the build sheet with all 10 digits matching  the  frame . I have the Title matching perfectly with all number in sequence  Except the 7 should be a 6 on the title .  What are the odds ?  Also the owners manual explains the series 62 .  I am going to  present my case at Medford NJ  tomorrow . If that doesn't work I will take a day off from work and  off to Trenton . This will cause sleepless nights for me until I can get it straightened out . Thanks so much for your input guys I really appreciate it .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bobby B

Bill,
Good Luck. Keep us posted…..
                            Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Balkie 24172

Bobby And Brian ,
   My Build sheet has the correct vin number and also calls out on the build sheet my car was number 614 built . That information is also stamped on my Firewall that I have made an impression of . If these people can not relate to all this evidence I will be really disappointed  . I am feeling positive right now . I will keep  you informed .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

Bill,

It all depends on who you get at the DMV.

If I am understanding this correctly, you have a Wisconsin title for the car and want to get a proper NJ title.

It's a roll of the dice.  Personally, I would just turn in the Wisconsin title and get an NJ title with the error on it, then go back to NJ with the title with the wrong digit and present your other data.  The reason I suggest this is because it will be a lot easier for the NJ DMV to rectify an error on an NJ title rather than have to scrutinize an out of state title and possibly ask you to leave it all with them to sort out.

Good luck!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

57eldoking

I think he's had the car titled in New Jersey for the past 5 years with an incorrect VIN. He doesn't have a Wisconsin title but while researching the car's history with the WI DMV he discovered the error in the VIN on his NJ title.

Did you figure out the MCD outlet code Bill? Was it in Wisconsin?
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: 57eldoking on February 05, 2016, 06:11:24 AM
I think he's had the car titled in New Jersey for the past 5 years with an incorrect VIN. He doesn't have a Wisconsin title but while researching the car's history with the WI DMV he discovered the error in the VIN on his NJ title.

Did you figure out the MCD outlet code Bill? Was it in Wisconsin?

57 Edo king , I  never really  got to the bottom of the outlet code . But the way you explained my situation is right on Point . I have had the NJ title for 5 years .Thanks , Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: 76eldo on February 05, 2016, 12:42:42 AM
Bill,

It all depends on who you get at the DMV.

If I am understanding this correctly, you have a Wisconsin title for the car and want to get a proper NJ title.

It's a roll of the dice.  Personally, I would just turn in the Wisconsin title and get an NJ title with the error on it, then go back to NJ with the title with the wrong digit and present your other data.  The reason I suggest this is because it will be a lot easier for the NJ DMV to rectify an error on an NJ title rather than have to scrutinize an out of state title and possibly ask you to leave it all with them to sort out.

Good luck!

Brian
Brain , I  had the car Titled in NJ 5 years ago . Just noticed the Vin is wrong . Check out 57 Eldo King . He is right on target .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

Oh.....

Then I think if you go to the DMV with your documentation you should have no problem.

Maybe call or check the NJ DOT website?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

"Don't try to confuse us with facts" is the quote that comes to mind when I have issues like this with the DMV.   

I had a title that had one wrong digit.   I don't remember which one anymore but it was a letter that you could see getting mixed up verbally and I think also next to each other on the keyboard.  I think on mine it was the assembly plant so it was not one that had a lot of options.  I bought in the books showing that the one on the title didn't exist and how similar they sounded and keyboard location but all that didn't matter.   

The 'fix' for mine was to schedule an inspection with a state inspector which apparently there was only one of so I think there was a 6-8 week lead time.   That inspector would then look at the car and decide what the vin of the car was.   I don't remember but I think there was around a $200 charge for this service.   With that report in hand I now needed an appraisal from a state approved appraiser (more fees).   With that info in hand I could then apply for a 'bonded' title (more fees).   Part of this process and fee is some sort of a nation wide search to make sure that vin is not currently reported as stolen.   If approved I then had to get a special insurance / bond policy that is different and separate from regular 'full coverage' that I am now required to carry.  With all this in place and no reports of the car being stolen I then get a 'bonded' title at which point is like buying and transferring the title in the first place so all the normal fees and sales tax apply again since this is not officially the car I paid the fees on before.

The bonded title is like a temporary title.   I think the deal was after 3-5 years if no one tried to claim ownership of the car I then got a real 'clean' title and didn't have any more special insurance requirements.   If someone did claim the car in that period that was where the bond came in.   That whole thing sounded screwy.   I think the person claiming ownership could choose the car or the cash from the bond.   IF they chose the cash I got to keep the car but if they chose the car I didn't get anything?    By the time they were explaining that to me I was pretty annoyed and knew I was not going to do any of it since my car was basically a rust bucket I bought for fun.    From what I could tell of this process if the person that had a matching title was from say 20 years before when the car was at the bottom of the value curve and along the way the car had been fully restored they could take the car or the cash at the current value.   

Basically the lesson is look darn close before you buy and make sure its all correct.   If its not make the seller make it right or walk away. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Balkie 24172

Just returned from the Medford DMV , A guy named Lee greeted me at the door and asked me what he could do for me . I asked him for some advice with my Title . After explaining the problem to him . He told me he was an antique car guy and he could take care of the problem , Showed him the Title , the build sheet , an impression of the vin on the frame and the trim tag on the fire wall . He told me to give him a few minutes . After a few minutes he returned and told me to make a picture of the vin number and the trim tag  and the build sheet . He told me he would need about on hour and he could handle this first thing Monday morning when he could fax the info to Trenton . He assured me there would be no problem with the  documents that I had . He then started to tell me about some of the cars that restored over the years . I asked him if I would be  better off going to Trenton Myself .  He said  give him an hour on Monday .   Let you know what happens Monday .

Very lucky Bill

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

76eldo

Bill

Sounds like you met the right guy.
Great news.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bobby B

Bill,
  It's a Car Guy thing. ;)  And Yes, you got Lucky. Good for You!
                                                                       Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

That does sound like good luck.   Hopefully your luck holds out and it all comes through on Monday.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason