News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac coupe deville twilight sentinel

Started by jlclvsjpm, February 11, 2016, 06:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlclvsjpm

Hello, this is my 1st post so forgive me if I make a few mistakes. I recently bought a 68 coupe deville that does not have the twilight sentinel option and I'd like to add it. Would someone please let me know what parts I will need to add this option? Through ebay, I was able to buy the switch and the autotronic eye but I don't know what else I will need. I am not a mechanic but I'm willing to learn how to do this myself
Heaven and hell are right here on earth, decided by your own free will

Scot Minesinger

There are four parts that you need:

1.  The brain, a white plastic box installed under dash about 3" x 2" x 2" or so
2.  The sensor that picks up if there is dark or light to turn lights on and off
3.  The light switch
4.  The wiring harness

Google "Cadillac Tim, Iva SC", he sells these systems.  I added it to my 1970 Cadillac SDV along with a trunk release (opens from glove box).  Sounds like you already have the sensor and switch, need brain and wiring harness.  However, I think brain and sensor have to be calibrated.  Probably best to phone Tim, rather than typing back and fourth.

I like this option a lot and it is not hard to add at all.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillactim

The autronic eye is for the Auto Dimming option, not Twilight Sentinel. The Sentinel turns the lights on and off automatically. The Auto Dimming option dims the headlights automatically. Which option are you wanting to add?

Tim
Tim Groves

jlclvsjpm

I want to add the twilight sentinel option. Does anyone have a picture of the various parts as I have to buy a lil at a time. As you can probably tell, I know nothing about mechanics but I'm willing to learn and I am eager to work on this car

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

This is the place to learn. Keep us updated on your projects.
I will tell you 2 things that everyone will tell you--- first, get a manual. The real one, not Haynes or Chiltens. Pick a subject and start reading about it.
Second, post pictures of your new toy!

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

jlclvsjpm

I will. Thanks. I found a picture of the twilight sentinel "eye" and it looks exactly like the autotronic eye that I bought. Are they one and the same? What does the "brain" that goes on the dash look like? I'm going to go on eBay now to look for a manual

Glen

I added the Twilight Sentinel to my 68 ELDO.  I got the Twilight Sentinel parts off a car in the junk yard.  I got the electronics box, the photo cell in the speaker grill on the top of the dash and the headlight switch.  The switch itself is the same but there is a variable resistor mounted between the switch and the knob.  The face plate also has lettering for the Twilight Sentinel and should be changed. 
The Twilight Sentinel wiring harness is part of the main harness and I had to pull the wires out of the junker’s main harness.  If the car did not come from the factory with that option, the wires were not there so you will need to get the harness. The factory harness on the Eldo is one piece from the engine compartment to the dash, no connector in the firewall.  The Twilight Sentinel wiring at the headlight switch is crimped in the same connector pins as the main wiring harness.  You have to figure out how to connect the added harness. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

chrisntam

Quote from: jlclvsjpm on February 12, 2016, 12:24:22 AM
I will. Thanks. I found a picture of the twilight sentinel "eye" and it looks exactly like the autotronic eye that I bought. Are they one and the same? What does the "brain" that goes on the dash look like? I'm going to go on eBay now to look for a manual

It appears you may be confused or we are using different terminology, there is no "eye" for the sentinel, but there is a photocell.  See Tim's post above.  Post a picture of what you have.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jlclvsjpm

This is what I have

jlclvsjpm

And this is another pic

Scot Minesinger

That device pictured is not for sentinel, it is for auto high beam dimming.  You can see that part is an under-hood item, because it is not clean.  The sensor that tells the car it is dark out and need to turn on the lights is mounted in dash below windshield so it can sense light and it is more like the size of a Sharpie marker cap with wires. 

On e-bay there is so much false info, best to only buy when you are sure you know what the item looks like and it includes a picture.

You can add also auto dimming, although I think this option in my area anyway is of no value.  However really like the sentinel option.

You can shop around and see what you find, and I have done that for a while.  Cadillac Tim is best value in that the part will work, be right, and supported with correct knowledge (best value to me).  When you do have the four components, it is not that difficult to add.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jlclvsjpm

Thanks for the insight. I will give Tim a call...

Glen

That is a Guide-Matic unit. 

I also added Guide-Matic to my Eldo.  Back in the day it worked very well. Today with all the reflective signs, reflectors on the lane dividers etc., it is useless.  All those reflectors keep the headlights on low beam.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Glen on February 13, 2016, 12:51:15 AM
That is a Guide-Matic unit. 

I also added Guide-Matic to my Eldo.  Back in the day it worked very well. Today with all the reflective signs, reflectors on the lane dividers etc., it is useless.  All those reflectors keep the headlights on low beam.
I wouldn't say useless ;)  On my '65 Eldo it works great (all original Guidematic), but I do live in Upstate NY and I don't really drive it in large city areas.  Last year I put over 1200 miles on my Eldo, and many, many times I was coming back from a cruise night when dark.  On some curves and hills it went off incorrectly a few times, but I think I have it adjusted well now and love it :).  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T