News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac (or GM) related books. Any recommendations?

Started by chrisntam, February 11, 2016, 10:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I'm interested in reading books on the history of Cadillac or GM.  Have you read any good ones?  Recommendations?

I'm about to start "My Years With General Motors" by Alfred Sloan.

Any others?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Cadillac: Standard of the World : The Complete History by Maurice Hendry is must reading for the serious Cadillac enthusiast.

http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Standard-World-Complete-History/dp/0915038757/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Rich S

"80 Years of Cadillac and LaSalle" by Walter P. McCall is a great book for any Cadillac enthusiast, too. It is likely out-of-print but copies come up occasionally on e-bay. It includes descriptions of many rare, customized and after-market conversion Cadillacs, and factory authorized conversions (including professional cars such as ambulances and hearses).
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Jon S

I like "Cadillac America's Luxury Car" by Robert C. Ackerson.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

harry s

Cadillac V-16s Lost and Found is very specific to those cars and their history. In my opinion it is well written and a must read for anyone interested in or owning one of those majestic machines. 80 Years of Cadillac LaSalle is very informative along with a much referred to reference guide. If you are interested in Cadillacs of the 40s or 50s era then Roy Schneider's books are great reads.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

chrisntam

Yeah, the V16 book is about specific cars, their known history, their owners and that actual car's story.  I was hoping for more information about (in general) how they were designed, engineered and built. 

Pretty much all I've gleaned from the book is that the V16 was built to combat the poor quality gasoline of the day.  Once the quality of the gas was bettered, a V16 engine was no longer necessary to have as the performance of the smaller engines was so much better than they had been.

I found the book Eric suggested (on eBay) and it's on its way.

I'll have a look at the others, thanks for pointing me in that direction!

chris.

I have Roy's book on Cadillacs of the '60s, it was the closest I could get for my '70.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Chris, You are in luck. Amazon has a copy of Roy Schneider's V-16 book. If you are wanting the technical facts about those cars, this is the one you need. And it's only $75. Copies on eBay have gone as high as $300. (I think that's why I don't still have a copy. I needed the money more than the book.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: chrisntam on February 12, 2016, 10:17:49 PM
Yeah, the V16 book is about specific cars, their known history, their owners and that actual car's story.  I was hoping for more information about (in general) how they were designed, engineered and built. 

Pretty much all I've gleaned from the book is that the V16 was built to combat the poor quality gasoline of the day.  Once the quality of the gas was bettered, a V16 engine was no longer necessary to have as the performance of the smaller engines was so much better than they had been.

I found the book Eric suggested (on eBay) and it's on its way.

I'll have a look at the others, thanks for pointing me in that direction!

chris.

I have Roy's book on Cadillacs of the '60s, it was the closest I could get for my '70.

Great! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

FYI: 80 Years of Cadillac & LaSalle is an excellent reference book as others have mentioned and is the single best resource there is for pictures of individual models as well as coachbuilt professional cars and various other conversions. Differences between model years and other important improvements/changes are highlighted.

Covers model years 1902 - 1982.

Print & type quality are so-so but it makes up in spades for the information contained which is excellently written.

Cadillac: America's Luxury Car is another enjoyable read. The interesting part of this book is that for each model year Cadillac's competition is discussed in which Cadillac's offerings are compared and contrasted with those from Lincoln and [Chrysler] Imperial. The perspective provided in these sections is both interesting and informative giving the reader an insight to the reasons for Cadillac's success over the years. 

Model years 1946 - 1989 are covered.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on February 13, 2016, 10:52:58 AM
Chris, You are in luck. Amazon has a copy of Roy Schneider's V-16 book. If you are wanting the technical facts about those cars, this is the one you need. And it's only $75. Copies on eBay have gone as high as $300. (I think that's why I don't still have a copy. I needed the money more than the book.)

I didn't find it, could it be sold?   I'll keep looking..........
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on February 13, 2016, 10:52:58 AM

Found it, thanks!

Chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Alan Harris CLC#1513

"Adventures of a White Collar Man" by Alfred Sloan.

Scot Minesinger

I like the "80 Years of Cadillac and LaSalle" as well.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

veesixteen

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"