News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 coupe bought at barrett now on ebay super RARE radio delete!! more BS

Started by wrefakis, February 11, 2016, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrefakis

this why I hate where the hobby has gone super rare radio delete brain that bought it at auction should invest in data book ALL RADIOS WERE OPTIONAL
RADIO DELETE !!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

And no air either.

As has been said many times before, just because something is rare does not necessarily make it desirable.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-CADILLAC-DE-VILLE-191284

Sold at BJ @ 17,600 incl fee.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Coupe Deville

-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: wrefakis on February 11, 2016, 10:35:33 AM
this why I hate where the hobby has gone super rare radio delete brain that bought it at auction should invest in data book ALL RADIOS WERE OPTIONAL
RADIO DELETE !!
Bill & others,
Let's call it by it's correct name... RADIO BLANK OFF PLATE.
A delete option only applies when a standard equipment item is deleted.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

tozerco

John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John,
You've ben sort of quiet lately. Are you going to the meet in Wang? Bringing a car?
Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, it has an "Automatic Transmission".   If a Manual Transmission was available, then the words "Automatic Transmission" are okay.

There should be a set of guidelines for advertisers to follow so things aren't incorrectly advertised.  .

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

wrefrakis and others,

I could not agree more that advertising a 66 Cadillac as a rare radio delete option is so stupid.  It is like saying luxury cruise to Bermuda with rare no food option for a premium price.  The person who advertises it is dumb and the person who thinks they are buying something more desirable than a radio 1966 Cadillac is just as dumb - like when two fools meet. 

Gavin beat me to the punch, just because it is rare does not mean it is desirable, and/or it may be rare for good reason.

Relax though, we all thought it was stupid, and I'm sure most others do as well.  I don't think the hobby is going this way.  Take it as a sign the hobby is growing and with any large group there are some dummies in it.

I have a rare 1970 Cuda Hemi convertible with hemi delete option for sale and the it is powered by a 225 slant six.  Color is rare tan/puke green original paint.  It also includes rust coating delete option and for it's age and mileage driving around in Cleveland for 46 years as a daily driver only in snow and salt it is not bad, as you can only see through 50% of the sheet metal.  It is complete with original top which held up well considering it was stored outside and 50% of it remains.  Some rare rodents have made a home in the car too.  It has the rare retrieve your news paper in the rain without getting out of the car option, where you drive over paper and reach through floor boards to get it (this is not to be confused with rusted thru floor pans, or maybe it could be?).  Price is a two million for rare hemi delete option car - any takers?

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillac ken

I think the mistake we are making with these auction cars is believing that these folks are into these cars for the "hobby".  In reality, it's all about the "flip" and the profit.  Sadly, as I have seen before, even the uniformed buyers at these auctions think the lies they are being fed are true facts. And sadly from my experience, i find most buyers are woefully uneducated about the car they are paying thousands of dollars for.

I really don't believe the bulk of these buyers want to drive a classic and enjoy it beyond being "seen" in it and impressing their friends and neighbors.   

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on February 12, 2016, 08:40:52 AM
I have a rare 1970 Cuda Hemi convertible with hemi delete option for sale and the it is powered by a 225 slant six.  Color is rare tan/puke green original paint.  It also includes rust coating delete option.  Price is a two million for rare hemi delete option car - any takers?

My favorite is when they apparently use the word rare once for each example of the identical item currently listed for sale in the same place theirs is listed.   If it says rare 6 times there are likely 6 more examples you could choose from.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac ken

kind of goes to what I was saying.  The guys who are car guys don't need to be told it's "rare".  The word "rare" is merely a selling tool aimed at those who are on the fence about buying a car they know little or nothing about.

Gentlemen...the seller is simply using any point he perceives (rightly or wrongly) to promote the car.

This does not begin to approach some of the most feeble attempts I have seen used to that end.

It does appear to be an exceptional 1966 Coupe deVille all the same, nevertheless the money paid at Barrett Jackson seems like all the money for it, all things considered.   

blugg

Love the $350,000 (+ or -) inflated auction value of a "rare" 59 Barrittz.   

is it worth that?  not even close.  Maybe $70K for a nice sample....however big balls john an tiny penis tim war it out.

Quote from: blugg on February 12, 2016, 11:13:49 AM
Love the $350,000 (+ or -) inflated auction value of a "rare" 59 Barrittz.   

is it worth that?  not even close.  Maybe $70K for a nice sample....

Nice '59 Eldorado Biarritzes are $70K... ???

Where do I sign up?

rwchatham CLC 21892

70k for a restored 59 Eldo, thats hilarious. Eric Im with you , when you can find them at that price put me down for a dozen or two.
R. Waligora

blugg

The question is why should a 59 Barritz be $350K?    why should a 66 have a rare "radio delete"?

who comes up with "values" who comes up with "rare"?

subjective IMO

your mileage may vary

rwchatham CLC 21892

I am not saying that was real money on the black eldo but when  they sell 300 sl s for a million bucks all day the long the question becomes why cant a fully restored 59 eldo be worth 350 K  ?  Values for anything are usually set by what someone is willing to pay for any such item and in the case of a fully restored 59 eldo, one has not sold for 70 k in a very very long time, probably  around 1985.
R. Waligora

David Greenburg

Tha '66 with radio delete is unusual, but what makes it much more unusual is that in addition the car has power vent widows and power door locks, options  that were pretty rare for a '66 CDV.  Also indicates that this was not a "stripper" - the radio delete was purposeful, and not just a cost saving measure. Some folks we're philosophically opposed to radios.  My wife's grandfather would not order with radio delete; instead he would buy off the lot (mostly Buicks) and pay to have the radio removed. He thought they were a distraction.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Quote from: blugg on February 12, 2016, 07:54:35 PM
The question is why should a 59 Barritz be $350K?

Because someone was willing to pay that - for this particular car.

Quote from: blugg on February 12, 2016, 07:54:35 PMwhy should a 66 have a rare "radio delete"?

Because someone ordered it that way.

Quote from: blugg on February 12, 2016, 07:54:35 PMwho comes up with "values"

The market.

Quote from: blugg on February 12, 2016, 07:54:35 PMwho comes up with "rare"?

Largely a matter of statistics.

Quote from: blugg on February 12, 2016, 07:54:35 PMsubjective IMO

Not really: If a Picasso is worth $5.00 in someone's subjective opinion, doesn't change the fact that someone else is willing to pay $5M.  Market value is defined as the maximum someone is willing to pay for x and that amount is acceptable to the buyer resulting in a transaction.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Eric,
I couldn't have said it better myself. I roll my eyes when I see some of these posts. I guess some people never studied economics & the law of supply & demand!
Bob