News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Blue ribbon from the CLC

Started by 55 cadi, February 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello,

When I purchased my Cadillac I found later that there was a blue ribbon that came with it.

Anyone know anything about it?

Pictures show what I have 

Thanks
Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Walter Youshock

Looks like an award from a CLC regional meet.  Where did you purchase the car?  It obviously has a CLC connection.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

55 cadi

Sorry,

I bought the car just outside of Dallas Texas.

Was told it came from Arizona, believe around that time or before that year, heck maybe even after that year, not positive.

Where was the meet that year?
2005 Cadillac deville

Walter Youshock

Probably a local show.  Have to track who had a '55 in '85 if they were a national member and the car was listed.  I'm not sure how the national kept records then.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

The 1985 Grand National was hosted by the Valley Forge Region in Philadelphia.

Glen

The October 1985 Self Starter has the Primary and Pre-primary winners for the Grand National, but I don’t see the other winners.  Primary class 19 first place is a ’55 fltd. Sedan owned by Lewis Jenkins. 
There is also a photo of the “trophys and ribbons”.  It’s hard to see in the black and white photo if the ribbons are the same as in Jason’s photo.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It is important to bear in mind, CLC membership is not necessary in order to participate in CLC Regional shows, so unless the ribbon was awarded at a Grand National, the car was not necessarily member-owned.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

Exactly.  We're ribbons given out at GNS back then?  I know the VFR used them many ti es at regional shows.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

55 cadi

I also got this plaque with the car also.

Any info about this?

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

Looks like a dash plate that would have been presented to all cars participating at the CLC Grand National in 1985. Since membership is required to participate in a GN, coupled with the ribbon, it's pretty convincing evidence the car was owned by a CLC member and that the car placed at that year's Grand National.

The Self Starter issue featuring the 1985 Grand National would likely reveal the owner at the time of the event, assuming the winners were listed.

Jay Friedman

I have an almost identical ribbon which my '49 was awarded at the 1991 CLC Grand National in Cincinnati, the first GN my wife and I attended.  The difference is that my ribbon is red and the date on it is 1991, but I don't remember the level of the award which is not marked on it.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

David Greenburg

I might have the SS issue with the GN results. I'll check the "library" over the weekend.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Art Director

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 12, 2016, 10:28:08 AM
It is important to bear in mind, CLC membership is not necessary in order to participate in CLC Regional shows, so unless the ribbon was awarded at a Grand National, the car was not necessarily member-owned.
National CLC membership may not have been required to participate in a Regional show in 1985, but it is now. All members of Regions and Chapters must belong to the CLC in order to satisfy a clause contained in the liability insurance policy paid for by the CLC.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Quote from: Art Director on February 12, 2016, 10:07:29 PM
National CLC membership may not have been required to participate in a Regional show in 1985, but it is now. All members of Regions and Chapters must belong to the CLC in order to satisfy a clause contained in the liability insurance policy paid for by the CLC.

I think we're talking about two different situations. My suggestion had been that the owner might not have been a CLC member - national or regional.

Non CLC-affiliated members have always been welcomed to participate in Regional CLC events - including owners of non-Cadillacs which are judged together in a separate class. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jay, Red is generally considered second place.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

55 cadi

Thank you David,

At your convienance, I am curious if it states who was there or won.

The ribbon is for 1985

The plaque was in 1993

For a 55 4 door, last owners first name was armondo.

Thanks

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

Jeff Maltby 4194

My 1990 GN Carson City,Nevada 2nd place pre-primary ribbon is red like Jays.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

David Greenburg

The S/S in 1985 was a pretty simple, b/w stapled affair.  The October issue lists the GN winners, and the only '55s that won were a CDV owned by Domenic Bove that placed 3rd in Pre-primary class F, a 60S owned by the late Louis Jenkins that won primary class 19, and a series 62 convert. owned by Nick Perakis that took third in that class.  I made the mistake of looking at the for sale ads in that issue. A '59 Seville, new lacquer and rebuilt motor for $6500 or a '53 conv., all original 44k miles, needs nothing for $15,000.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

David, if you want to go to bed crying, I could lend you one of my 1964-65 S/S. 1938 Series 75 limos for $350. Barry
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

David Greenburg

Barry- I'll bet there were all kinds of deals on those "old used cars." But as precocious as I was, I wasn't old enough to be in the market in '64.  '85 was the year I joined the CLC after purchasing a tired but running and complete '59 60S for $1000.  I was young, stupid and really stretching it to come up with the $1000.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville