News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Removing water pump from 79 Eldorado....does rad come out too?

Started by nanaimogene, February 12, 2016, 12:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanaimogene

Someone should publish a book Cadillac repairs for Dummies . Yes I have the Haynes n Shop manual. Thanks to the members helped me remove
the gas tank which went well. Oh I should mention the Auto repair shop said my EGR was no good and blocked it off. I noticed with new fuel pumps (2) pressure would not go above 30psi on open throttle. I removed EGR cleaned the shaft , cleaned the openings in the transducer added
new hoses and gaskets.  Now it works great and fuel pressure goes up to 39psi on open throttle.        I plan to go by the shop manual on water pump removal. It does not mention removing rad except for fan shroud . Is there anything I should be aware of and any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Gene

TJ Hopland

There is enough room to work on the water pump without removing the radiator.    Its not as nice as having a V6 car but its certainly not the worst thing out there.  The fan is a couple inches from the rad so you can wiggle it out of there and then there is room.   Similar but not as bad as the Cadillac motor there are a couple of the water pump bolts that just thread into the timing cover so don't go nuts when tightening them.    Its a good time to do the hoses including that short one to the stat housing.     If there is dirt and crud built up around the coil on the front of the fan clutch its leaking so good time to do that as well as a good cleaning of the radiator and condenser.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason