News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HELP needed: 1959 Cruise-Control and Autronic-Eye

Started by veesixteen, February 13, 2016, 03:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

I'm posting this for a French friend who lives in Switzerland and who owns a superb 1959 Eldorado Biarritz. The "Cruise" and the "Eye" are o/s (not sure if they failed or if they were already flawed when he got the car in California in 2004.

Can any members point me in a direction that might be helpful (either for repair manuals or for working spare parts). I will relay any tips. He speaks no English.

Roger Z. Are you there?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

76eldo

Jann,

The shop manual has a lot of info.

I recently purchased a bulletin by UMS (United Motors Systems) that deals specifically with the 1960 Guide-Matic.  It's 12 or 14 pages and I think it goes into more detail than the manual.

Please send me an email at rachlin@comcast.net and I will scan it in as a pdf file and send it to you.

I am busy for the next few days but I can have it to you mid week.

Regards,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, Yann I'm here! But, as I'm not Madame Soleil, I cannot do miracles, especially when I'm not contacted!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Whit

Brian:

When you have time to copy the UMS Bulletin on the Guide-Matic, would you mind shooting me a copy also.

Much appreciated...Whit    whitmcfarlin@msn.com

veesixteen

Brian: Thanks for the quick, helpful response; I will eMail you today.

Roger: I got the call only yesterday. My first reaction was to "get the ball rolling".  You can be sure I'll be telling the owner the good news that he doesn't have to go far to find Cadillac expertise; it's just "just around the corner".

Happy Valentine's Day, guys !

Roger Zimmermann

Well, Yann: I have no experience in the '59 Autronic Eye nor in the Cruise control. I can help maybe with parts, but for such devices I prefer not to touch them.
The owner may contact me if he has the proper documents but don't understand them.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

veesixteen

Thanks Roger. I will pass on his information when I get it.

Right now I've only had his (phone) call for help. I just found out, in passing, that he 65, Basque from Biarritz (Eldo ?!?!), talks with a strong local accent, is retired (from building/installing elevators in Paris) ... and recently moved to the tiny village of Mies, in Switzerland, where I went to school in 1948-50 and later lived with my future ex-wife from 1968 to 1971!

Strange coincidences, right?

n2caddies

These guys can help: have not used John in a while but he is the autronic/guidematic expert
John Oldenburg olden@yousq.net
Tim does Cruise repairs
Cadillac Tim  tagroves@wctel.net
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

veesixteen

Thanks Randy; I will give them a try.

Yann

Dan LeBlanc

John Oldenburg tuned up the Guidematic in my 61 (it worked but had a couple bad capacitors, so operation was erratic).  It now works flawlessly.

He has a modified Guidematic tester that cycles the dimmer every seven seconds.  He runs units he's repaired on it 24 hours a day for a  few days to make sure all is perfect before he sends them back.

I would not hesitate to send him another unit. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car