News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installing Torus gasket to flywheel---Do's and Dont's question

Started by 48caddymn, March 02, 2016, 01:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48caddymn

I have the Flathead and Hydromatic out of my 48 caddy and they are ready to become one again.  I have the front core support removed from the car so my plan is to bolt them together so I can install them in the car as one unit.

I only want to do this once, so I'm making sure I have the correct sequence to install the torus gasket.  A member recommended Pliobond as a method to hold the gasket in place when installing the 30 bolts. I found a can and it appears to be similar to weather stripping adhesive.

I cleaned up all 30 holes in the flywheel with a 3/8 fine thread tap, purchased all new bolts and lock washers and cleaned the mating surfaces on the flywheel and torus cover (along with a new gasket between the crankshaft and flywheel).  Does everyone recommend applying the Pliobond to the flywheel to hold the gasket in place and NO sealant or glue on the other side of the gasket where it meets the torus cover?? I'll have a few people helping me so I can hopefully get the tranny mated to the flathead and all 30 torus bolts in and tightened within a short period of time.

I'm welcome to any advice..........Dan

Bobby B

Dan,
  Hi….Never a leak with the Pliobond. Use it on both sides if you want. What really creates the seal is that the super paper-thin gasket gets crushed in the fine mating grooves on both sides and fills in the gap. The Pilobond is insurance for alignment and sealing. Make sure you clean out those grooves down to the bare metal on both surfaces. I used an Exacto-knife and finished it off with some brake clean. The tight mesh of those two fine surfaces is what seals the fluid in. You have to work quick and torque in increments. A helper would  be beneficial to turning the crank with a breaker bar so you can attend to the 30 bolts  quickly without stopping. I did it in 3 passes. Good Luck!
                                                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Maltby 4194

This is good stuff that has been around for decades-napa auto and most harley dealers carry it=Gasgacinch

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TTDN8?tag=viglink22048-20
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

48caddymn

Thanks guys; should I put a dab of permatex or RTV on the 30 bolts to assure a good seal on them as well?

Dan