News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sabre wheels on a 1962 Cadillac? Possible?

Started by CadGrabber, February 16, 2016, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadGrabber

Please educate me on Sabre wheels and which ones, if any, will fit a 1961-'62 model Cadillac. I am told that 1955-56 are different in offset from the (rare) 1957-58 wheels. Will these wheels fit the later models with spacers? Local seller has a set with center caps he says is from a '55 in what appears to be a chrome finish. I always loved the look of these wheels, and would love to put them on my '62. How do I easily discern which wheels this seller has? Are Sabres stamped with a Cadillac part number, a Kelsey-Hayes number, or no number at all? Sorry for all the questions. I'm thinking the answer is no here, but I can't stop thinking about how good they'd look on my car. Thanks for your help!

Scott

cadillac ken

Hi Scott and welcome.  I'm sure there are more experts on this than I.  Although, I've been a '58 Caddy guy for many years.  This is all from memory, so if someone here knows better... they will chime in I'm sure.  This is a great forum with a bunch of great guys.

The "early" Sabres like the '55 or '56 ones you mentioned were stamped with a four digit number that begins with a 39--.  The later Sabres for the '57 and '58's are the same but they are slightly larger on the inside to accommodate the larger brake drums used on the '57's and '58's and they are stamped in the same way but the four digit number begins with a
4---. 

As you might guess, you will have a better chance of the "4" series wheels fitting than the "39" series since they are made to accommodate a larger brake drum  However with that said, As for them fitting onto a 1962, i'm afraid you will have to rely on a seasoned 1962 Caddy owner to see if the brake drums are going to be a problem to fit these wheel to.  And Keep in mind I'm not absolutely sure the "39" series wheels won't work, but one would assume the 1962 Caddy has at least as large a brake drum as the 1957 or '58.

As a footnote there were even gold anodized Sabres (offered with a gold anodized matching grill) as well as the chrome plated ones. However they were not offered on the '58 eldo's as an option-- not to say you couldn't put a set of gold 1957 Sabres on a '58.

Hope this helps, good luck

Walter Youshock

There were NO gold sabres for '57 or '58.  Gold was available only for 1956 which also has the smaller brake drums
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

willits

HI Scott,

I run Sabers on both my ’58 Coupe and my ’61 drop top.  As mentioned the ’57 / ’58 wheels which have the number 41098 cast into the hub, (you can see the number to the right of Hayes on the wheel hub).  These will fit with no problems.   I can confirm that the earlier ones will fit on the rears with no problems, but not over the fronts on ’61 You would need a spacer for them to fit and that might require putting in longer wheel studs.

You should check the inside shoulder of the wheel carefully.  I’ve had 3 crack there.   It seems to be a weak spot.  The upside is they can be welded.   

They do look great on the Camelot cars. 

Peter

Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS