News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Knurled wheel on light switch on my 1962 MM Hearse / fender top indicator bulbs

Started by rustytractor, February 29, 2016, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

I've been sorting out silly odd's and sods on the '62 hearse  which is now running fine so I turned my attention to the few lighting and electrical issues I have with the car.

The front side lights didn't work - easy to daignose because there was no wiire inside the female side of the connector to provide power so I checked if any of the unused wires within the connector block provided 12v when the side lights were turned on and one did. I assumed that whoever had restored the car had simply wired them up wrong so moved the male connector to mate with the female and hey presto - side lights.

Later on when I was playing with the light switch I turned the knurled wheel which is part of the switch and found it switched the front side lights off and on which obviously isn't right.

Am  I correct in assuming that this switch is intended for fog lights (which my car doesn't have) so is technically unused on this car ? I've left the sidelights connected to this at present as it does the job until I can locate the correct (but missing) feed wire

Also, how do I change the indicator bulbs on the fender tops ? I recall being told in a previous thread that this involved prizing off part of the trim to access the bulb which seems a bit crazy but if that's what needs to be done could someone explain the procedure in idiot terms so I don't do any damage.

Why Cadillac didn't put incator lights on the dash as well is a mystery to me.
Too many cars - too little time !!

Roger Zimmermann

Cars not equiped with fog lamps don't have that secondary switch behing the main knob for the headlamps. Most probably, the original switch went bad and the replacement switch was for a car with fog lamps.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

rustytractor

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 01, 2016, 02:42:03 AM
Cars not equiped with fog lamps don't have that secondary switch behing the main knob for the headlamps. Most probably, the original switch went bad and the replacement switch was for a car with fog lamps.

Point taken but would the loom have the wire that went from the light switch to the connector on the rad frame ?

Roger Zimmermann

Sorry, even after reading your question many times I don't understand it...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

rustytractor

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 01, 2016, 05:32:36 AM
Sorry, even after reading your question many times I don't understand it...

😆 - I'll try rewording the question. Funny - it made perfect sense to me but that's probably because i understand what i meant.

Take #2
It appears that I've used the wire which goes from the secondary light switch to the fog lamps BUT my car doesn't have fog lamps and (based on your previous post) the light switch has possibly been replaced at some point.

My question is this:-

Would the original loom contain a wire which went from a nonexistent light switch to nonexistent fog lights ? Is it possible that the secondary light switch would be fitted as standard to commercial chassis vehicles to operate auxiliary lights ?

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for asking a different way!
As far as I know, fog lamps were not standard on Serie 75 and CC vehicles. Here too, we may think that there was a problem in the front and the fog lamps were replaced with standard lamps while the light switch is original to the car. Many things may happen in more than 50 years!
On my '56 cars, the wire for the fog lamps is not part of the standard harness, it's separate. Could be that this matter was handled the same way in 1962, but I cannot pretend that it's the truth. An owner from a '62 car without fog lamp could tell it.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

willits

I can’t speak  directly to commercial cars, but I think the answer to the first part of your question is yes. 

I know the ’61 & ’62 standard cars had the fog lights prewired into the wiring harness.  If the car did not have fog lights there was a jumper installed on the connector that bypassed the wiring.  If the car had fog lights the jumper was not installed and connector was plugged into the fog light connector on the headlight switch.   

The connections are show in the wiring diagram in the shop manual or you can pull one off the net here:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/cadillacindex.htm

Peter

Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

rustytractor

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 02, 2016, 03:40:24 AM
An owner from a '62 car without fog lamp could tell it.

Erm.... that would be me !

My '62 Coupe doesn't have fog lamps so I'll check.

Because the hearse is based on a commercial chassis I didn't think to check the coupe.

I'm either lazy or stupid. Probably both when I think about it !

62 driver

Top fender turn single bulbs are removed by unscrewing a bolt from the under fender side.  Then the top will life off and the bulb will be available.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889