News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flathead #1 cylinder

Started by 48caddymn, February 20, 2016, 10:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48caddymn

I found the firing order for the 1948 flathead; 18736542.  But I need to verify what cylinder is considered #1.  Is the #1 cylinder on the passenger side at the front of the motor (1,3,5,7)? And the driver's side should be 2,4,6,8 starting from the front of the motor?  Sorry for the basic question but I don't want any surprises when I try to start the engine.

Dan

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Number 1 is the first (frontmost) one on the LH (drivers) side.

The left bank are numbered 1, 3, 5, 7. The right is 2, 4, 6, 8.

Bobby B

Dan,
Hi. #1 Cylinder is on the Driver's side of the block. Front-to-Back, Driver's Side (1,3,5,7) Passenger Side (2,4,6,8). Take out your #1 spark plug and put your finger in the hole. Turn the crank over by hand until you approach the "IGN" timing mark on the balancer. When you feel compression approaching the "IGN" mark, that's where you set your distributor to the #1 position. If you approach the mark and you don't feel compression, you're on the #6 cylinder and 180 degrees out. Try it a few times to make sure you have it right. You need both valves closed on the #1 cylinder.  Nothing worse than dropping a distributor in twice, especially on our flatheads. Good luck!
                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

48caddymn

I'm glad I asked the question; thanks for the responses. 

Dan