News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Authenticity question, 50s models - card on radiator support

Started by MickeyCaddy, February 21, 2016, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyCaddy

I noticed my 1955 Series 62 sedan has small brackets on the center of the radiator support to hold a card (or something similar). Maybe about 3.5" tall x 5" wide â€" I haven't measured.
Other Cadillacs from the era also have these little brackets, but I can’t find any specific info.
Below I've posted a pic from the internet; hope it posts here correctly. Obviously the Cadillac crest and “V” are on the left. If I enlarge it, it seems to say something like:

Cadillac
For Quality
Identification
    XXXX (a number)

But it’s too blurry to know for sure. Wondering if anyone knows about these.
Thanks!

M Chanslor

Jon S

Those are someone's idea of what the original cards looked like.  They are totally incorrect.  They were like this in 1958 . . . can't speak for the other years:
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

MickeyCaddy

Thank you so much â€" now THAT makes sense to me! The info on the card in the pic I posted seems inane, pointless. I couldn't figure out why Cadillac would go to the trouble of including mounting brackets for a card that simply reminds everyone that the car is a Cadillac.

bill06447

My original 61 had this still hanging from the radiator cap:

Bill

Walter Youshock

That first card is what came from the factory as an indicator as to WHERE the owners information card belonged.  They moved the card location around before Protect-o-plate came out in the '60's.

The card with the owner info was filled out by the dealer.  If you bought a used Cadillac from a Cadillac dealer, you should have gotten a new card with your name and date of purchase on it, within a few years of manufacture, like 2 or 3 years.  Even the oil change coupon books were transferable.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

MickeyCaddy

Great to know. Sounds like Cadillac service was also the "Standard of the World", as were the products.

Walter Youshock

Absolutely.  In the back of original owners manuals is a listing og Cadillac Authorized service stations.  For the Cadillac owner on the go, all you had to do was check your manual for a service station trained on Cadillac service.

Cadillac also had a warranty and service policy where the station would return or swap parts and each return to Clark had to be tracked.  That card was your ticket to the finest service available.  Cadillac wanted their products taken care of.  New cadillacs sold used cadillacs and vice verse.  The more well maintained older Cadillacs on the road made people think how well built they must be.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

MickeyCaddy

I want my older Cadillac to be well maintained, too! Working on it...

Jon S

Quote from: Walter Youshock on February 21, 2016, 07:27:16 PM
Absolutely.  In the back of original owners manuals is a listing og Cadillac Authorized service stations.  For the Cadillac owner on the go, all you had to do was check your manual for a service station trained on Cadillac service.

Cadillac also had a warranty and service policy where the station would return or swap parts and each return to Clark had to be tracked.  That card was your ticket to the finest service available.  Cadillac wanted their products taken care of.  New cadillacs sold used cadillacs and vice verse.  The more well maintained older Cadillacs on the road made people think how well built they must be.

Unfortunately the Warranty in 1958 was only 90 days or 3,000 miles.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

MAX GRETENCORD

I don't see your address in the 2016 directory for some reason...If I knew it I would send you 2 blank cards on card stock for free
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

MickeyCaddy

Thank you Max - I really appreciate it! I just joined the CLC last month, when I bought my 1955 Cadillac, and I'm not in the directory yet. I just sent you a private message containing my address.

M Chanslor

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I believe that the beige cards were used up until 1947 or so, then they went to a white card with red lettering that fit on the radiator assembly. One thing that was "amusing" was that one of the Cadillac head service manager's actual name was G.M. Otto. One might think that they were being "clever."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

MAX GRETENCORD

Barry, we had a local car club member whos name was Hudson Firestone.....really neat guy.  I have put a couple of cards in the mail to you, Michael.  Glad I could help.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

MickeyCaddy

Max, the cards arrived in the mail today. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

It's so thoughtful of you â€" above and beyond the call of duty. This forum is awesome â€" without your help, and that of so many others who are assisting me with my braking issues, I'd be lost in the woods with no way home. :)