News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Advice needed on proceedure to replace SS mesh in early 30's stone guard

Started by Alan Dewsnup, February 23, 2016, 08:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Dewsnup

Well here we go on another learning event.  I have three early 30's stone guards and all of them have fatigued and broken wire mesh in them.  I do not want to ruin any of them in a fouled learning/repair effort.  Does anyone here have experience with doing this particular replace/repair of the wire mesh.  Due to the age of the stone guards, to me it appears that the surround was built, prepped then plated.  After the plating, it looks as though the mesh was laid in and simply low temp soldered on each of the mesh raw ends to the back side of the surround.  Or alternatively, is the assembly all built complete, then plated mesh and all?  I am wanting to know the proper sequence, and solder type as well as a good source for replacement SS mesh.

Thanks in advance....

Al

Chris Cummings

Hi Al,

I would check with Jeff Pearson.  He's in the CLC membership directory in Kansas City, Kansas.  He works with Sonny Elliott (who is listed in the CCCA directory as Charles Elliott).  They both grew up living and breathing these cars, under the guidance of the legendary "Cadillac Jim" Pearson.  They know what there is to know about how these cars were put together when they were new.

Best of luck,

Chris Cummings