News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

questions

Started by mr41cadillac, February 24, 2016, 08:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

we have removed the entire old wiring harness gages, speedometer , wiper motor  radio. clock etc, from 1941 60 special, question 1 the dash covering looks like burled walnut and is a stick on covering that has been cut in pieces. where can i buy a similar covering,? 2. where can i buy a new light switch, wiper motor and speedometer  thanks john

JoeKarasinski

I'm no expert but our 41 62 series convertible the wood appearance of the dash is actually a special paint process.

Steve Passmore

Quote from: mr41cadillac on February 24, 2016, 08:45:38 PM
we have removed the entire old wiring harness gages, speedometer , wiper motor  radio. clock etc, from 1941 60 special, question 1 the dash covering looks like burled walnut and is a stick on covering that has been cut in pieces. where can i buy a similar covering,? 2. where can i buy a new light switch, wiper motor and speedometer  thanks john

You sometimes find NOS wiper motors on ebay and you will have to look there too for a speedometer and light switch John as you will not find a new ones of those.
The dash wood grain effect may be different in the 60S so someone more knowledgeable with that model will have to help you.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

mr41cadillac

whats on the dash is a stick on burled walnut , looks like the real deal but flaked off at the top and weathered. I see on line some of this material , I wonder if the original was like this john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: If my memory is correct what was on the dash was a laminated material done to look like burled oak called DI-NOC. I think it was made by 3M. At one time Cads of the 40s&50s had the material.   Bill   

mr41cadillac

thanks bill I see it listed on ebay . I m going to order a roll I can use I heat gun to remove the old. john

Paul Phillips

John
The dash was originally finished with DINOC, which was an adhesive film product from 3M.  It was then sprayed with clear lacquer.  There are a few folks out there who offer a service to replicate that.  There are at least 2 other options - services who will replicate the look using a paint process then clear coated, or the newer hydro-dipping process, which is also clear coated.  All these, when done right, will look great.  Dash will need to be disassembled and out of the car for any option.  Glove box door should be done at same time.

There has been a speedo advertised on ebay within the past few days.  Or you can check with Eddie Jones, Steve Cooley, Don Lomax or All Cads for what they have.  Same with the light switch.  You can use one from a later model, at least thru 49 works, but be sure you get the switch & knob, as the later ones are different.  Otherwise just some minor differences in the thermal overload terminals.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Bill Ingler #7799

John: Looking through parts left over from my 41-60s, I found a speedometer. Pictures below. Bought this at Hershey as a back up and never tested it. Reset cable for trip odometer works fine. Some small pitting of chrome on bezel but overall a clean speedometer. Priced at $95 plus shipping. Please email me at inglerfly@cox.net    if you have questions. Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks all bill we are going to see about my speedometer 1st maybe can fix it but ill let you know. my light switch words fine I just wanted to know if one was available in case it went bad. john

mr41cadillac

paul why would the dash need to be removed?. ive seen online videos of the dinoc being applied in the car using the 3m primer and a blow dryer. im using the blow dryer to remove my old coating. thanks john

Steve Passmore

I think what Paul means is to do any work properly to the dash you need to remove it. Everything on the dash needs to be removed to get to every single area and that's a hell of a job in itself. By the time you get that far its easier to just take the panel out and do it on the bench. I can't imagine what sort of results one would get doing it in the car with everything in place.  Its usually rust that makes these original finishes fail so the dash would also have to come out for the preparation.

Your stick on wood-grain confuses me John as I have had many 41's and never seen this finish. The Di-Noc of the day was a transparent material which left the print only on the dash and could not be peeled off as you say you can do with yours.  Modern Di-Noc seems to be a Vinyl material. Now either the 60S used something completely different in 41 or your dash may have recovered in more recent years by this modern material? The fact that you can see cut makes gives the game away.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

mr41cadillac

steve my dash must have been done over in 1976 as there was a sign behind the back seat when I removed the seat covers. looks like they used the modern material over the original like you described.  I have the complete harness removed along with all the gages clock speedometer etc and am stripping the dash in place , or am going to try too. who ever did it before did a good job with the cutting as one could not tell until I removed the radio clock etc and could see the cut material. as I said it looked great except it had weathered and flaked badly at the top of the dash. anyhow ive ordered the dinoc and 3m primer. if I remove the dash what else do I need to take out to get the metal dash out ???????? thanks john

Chasmann

Go online and look at hydro dipping.Amazing processCharlie M.
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Paul Phillips

John
Steve is on track about the process being easier with the dash out, and for some of the options, the only way someone will do it for you is with the dash out.  Faux painting when done with a roller transfer, as well as hydro-dipping require the parts to be separate.  The idea of spraying the clear finish with the dash in place raises concerns about both protecting the interior and also being able to get a good finish.  The angle for your spray gun and blow-back from the masked surfaces both come to mind.

Pulling the dash is not as bad as it may seem, especially with all you have already removed.  You seem to have some instruments out already, so the rest are straightforward.  Radio bezel and the horizontal chrome bars at left & right sides are readily removed.  Remove the wiper control, light switch, ignition switch, start pushbutton, cigar ligher  & hand throttle and you are almost there.  Pull the glove box liner.  Look at the two bottom corners for a screw to a tab above the kick panels, and take the braces off from the bottom channel on either side of the steering column.  Take the windshield garnish off, you will find a series of screws that hold the top of the dash to the cowl.  You should now be able to lift the assembly out of the car.

Here are a couple pix of my firewall with the dash out of the car - you should be able to see all the mounting holes discussed above.

BTW, I did my dash by hydro dipping, and it really came out nice, so I support Charlie's view there.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)

mr41cadillac

paul im not spraying. the dinoc is cut and put on over the primed then heated with a blow dryer. then you trip it.  ive got most the old off it came off relatively easy with a blow dryer . when i get it in im going to see if i can do it with the bare dash in place. jhn

mr41cadillac

paul is the windshiel garnish the chrome piece that runs around the winshield? yall are probably right its going to be easier with it out thanks john

Paul Phillips

John
Yes, the windshield garnish is the inside chrome that runs around the perimeter of the windshield.  There are a couple small pieces at top & bottom to remove first, then you can take off the L & R pieces.  Leave the center vertical in place to keep the windshield glass where it belongs.  When replacing the garnish, do not over-tighten the screws, just snug them.  Too much tightening can crack the windshield glass.

I am not sure about the material you are planning to install, but the original DINOC was definitely clear coated with lacquer after install, hence the discussion about paint spraying.
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)

mr41cadillac

thanks paul I almost have it out will let you know about the dinoc when I get it. john

mr41cadillac

I got the dash out and stripped. its real smooth and clean so when I get the di noc in I will prime it and put the new material on. any hints ? the video online showed you use a blow dryer to smooth it out then cut it out of the openings . thanks john

Paul Phillips

John
I have not installed this before, but what you are describing sounds similar to paint protection film.  I believe there is an adhesion promoter that you can use around any openings to be sure the material 'sticks'.  May be good to do as well around the immediate background at the speedo, clock, and the flats for the ignition, hand throttle, cigar lighter, etc.  You don't want the material shrinking later and pulling away where there is a significant change in surface angle.  I would suggest pie cutting the openings and folding the wedges around to the back side as well.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)