News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 Biarritz Mystery Part

Started by Whit, February 25, 2016, 07:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

I have asked this question before, but no answer. Attached is a photo of a check valve (I think) on my manifold. I don't know what it does or what is supposed to be connected to it. Can someone help clarify this for me?

Thanks   Whit

Cadillac Jack 82

Looks as if it might be a temp sensor?  If it were a more modern car I'd say fuel/air mixture but not with something that old
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Whit

Tim:

Thanks for the reply, but it definitely is not a temp. sensor. It is some sort of check valve, but I don't know what for or what it connects to.

Whit

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

quadfins

Re: '60 Biarritz need help

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »

I am working from memory here, from a '60 manifold that I removed for a friend some years ago, so others may have better info...

IIRC, that fitting is the vacuum source for the devices in the passenger compartment. Namely, the parking brake release, and any heater/AC actuators that run on vacuum. A small hose runs to the junction box on the firewall (it also has a bunch of wires). This connector mates the hose and wires from the engine compartment to the corresponding ones in the interior. The vacuum hose plugs into the inside nipple, and then goes to the neutral safety switch, from which it is routed to the brake release actuator.

The junction box is that one located under and to the side of the brake booster.

On my '61, the vacuum source is a brass fitting, on the same side, but at the rear of the manifold. There is a check valve inside the passenger compartment, and also serves to split the sources of vacuum to the brake release and the heater/AC system. I thought that, on '60s, the check valve is integral to the fitting on the intake manifold.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Jim...I concur.

Subject car does not appear to have A/C though I could not say for certain from the photo provided. Power door locks on 1960 were electrically actuated so it wouldn't be for that either. Forget about whether power trunk release was electric or vacuum in 1960 - probably electric as well.

However, auto parking brake release was standard in 1960 so it could well be for that.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

quadfins

What operated the fresh air inlet duct for the heater in 1960? Would that also use vacuum, as it did in '61?

Power trunk in '60 was electric, as you say.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Whit

Just to clarify a bit...my '60 Biarritz does have A/C. The heater-A/C distribution case on the firewall has three vacuum actuated diaphragm devices to open and close various gates to divert air through the heater core, defroster or the A/C evaporator. I 'think' the vacuum line to that system may come from the check valve on the manifold that is shown in my photo (but I'm not sure). What makes me question that is that the size of the curved stainless tube shown in the photo is only about 1 mm in diameter (about 4 times the size of a hypodermic needle. That seems small for a vacuum source for three diaphragms and the dash switching network. Check the diagram of this system below.
I'm still struggling with the correct under hood vacuum tubing connections. Any help understanding this will be much appreciated.
Whit

quadfins

Is there a similar fitting on the passenger side? If not,, then according to the vacuum diagram, it is the source for the vacuum actuator for the AC.

I think, on standard manifolds, the fitting was on the passenger side

Perhaps, though, this may not be for the parking brake.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

savemy67

Hello Whit,

If I recall correctly, the GM 3 x 2 carburetor arrangement had the middle carb function as the primary venturis and the front and rear carbs function as the secondary venturis (someone correct me if this is not the case for Cadillacs).  The vacuum fitting is located in the intake manifold runner near the front carb, so under most driving conditions the vacuum signal would be relatively high.  Additionally, since pressure or vacuum (negative pressure) is a function of cross-sectional area, a small diameter tube would not necessarily be a problem.  The shop manual may indicate that the vacuum needed to operate the various vacuum operated devices is much less than the vacuum provided by the fitting.  You can connect a vacuum gauge to the fitting to see how much vacuum you have.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

76eldo

Whit,

You have that correctly identified at the Manifold Vacuum Check Valve.  The thin tubing goes onto a stem mounted high on the firewall.  I went into the garage to look at the connection for you but I have the car under another one on my lift and I cannot raise the hood high enough to snap a photo for you.

I may take the car out in the next few days and will take a look.  The car is a non AC car with tri power.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

Brian:

I will look for a 'stem' high on the firewall...not sure that I have seen that. I thought on my car (with A/C) the tube went through the firewall mounted blower unit inward to the dash mounted A/C controls (as per the diagram above). Vacuum lines are distributed onward from there to the heater and A/C distribution unit.

Thanks to all for your kind input.            Whit

David Greenburg

Whit-

I had a chance to look at mine (with a/c).  The hose runs from the outlet on the vacuum port, between the carbs and then to the firewall, where it enters the middle port on the firewall junction block located just below the silver vacuum actuator located on the passenger side firewall.  I tried to take a picture, but the lighting was bad.  If you need a picture, I can try and take one in the daylight over the weekend.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Whit

Thanks David. I will check today to see if I can understand where that location is. A photo would really help. I 'think' you are talking about the holes in the blower unit where the three vacuum tubes enter and exit. Is that correct?

I have not as yet installed the blower unit. but I am aware of the location of the passage for the three vacuum tubes.

Thanks  Whit

David Greenburg

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special