News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 390 Oil Pump Removal

Started by Coupe Deville, February 28, 2016, 04:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of replacing the rear main oil seal on a 1959 Cadillac. I removed the oil pump baffle/plate. Then I removed one of the oil pump 9/16 nuts, but the 2nd one(drivers side) I can not get a wrench on it. I've tried regular and deep sockets with and without a u-joint adapter, and a open end wrench and a box end wrench. I'm not quite sure what to do. Is there something special to get this nut unscrewed?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dave Shepherd

How about a flex head ratcheting box wrench or a crows foot adapter on the end of a 3/8 extension?

Coupe Deville

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the crows foot adapter, I'm not sure why i didn't think of that before. I tried it and it unfortunately did not fit. I resorted to removing the transmission inspection cover and used a joint adapter on a 3/8 ratchet with no extion. That worked out fine and got the last nut removed.
The oil pump is off the car!

Thanks again.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"