News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Fuel pump question

Started by wearymicrobe, March 02, 2016, 01:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on March 02, 2016, 02:48:42 PM
Well, since you brought up the authenticity issue the hose clamps are fair game now!  What are those I see?  TOWER STYLE HOSE CLAMPS

I saw that also, but have seen many more 1958's including one "original" one now on eBay with the same worm type clamps as mine and several others I have referenced in the past.

I don't understand why a bought brand new 1958 Cadillac is constantly challenged.  You should be using my car for a reference since there are very few members who have a purchased new 1958 on this Forum.  JMHO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Fleetwood-/222038609027?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33b2884c83:g:ixIAAOSwKtVW1Lsv&item=222038609027
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

On the car in the link posted, it is glaringly obvious that work has been done under the hood therefore the entire authenticity of the engine bay is questioned.

I challenge your claim because I have seen more factory evidence of tower clamps (the photo below is the most glaringly obvious piece of proof) than any other style of hose clamp out there.  Plus, known GM practices at the time using tower clamps across the line also provides more credence to the argument that tower clamps were used.

The skeptic in me has to side with factory proof.  Period.

The only thing that would convince me otherwise of what was factory installed on your car or any other 1958 for that matter would be an engine bay photo taken by the dealership at the time of delivery from the factory to the dealership. That would be the only evidence concrete enough to contradict the factory printed materials I have seen to date.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on March 02, 2016, 03:11:24 PM
On the car in the link posted, it is glaringly obvious that work has been done under the hood therefore the entire authenticity of the engine bay is questioned.

I challenge your claim because I have seen more factory evidence of tower clamps (the photo below is the most glaringly obvious piece of proof) than any other style of hose clamp out there.  Plus, known GM practices at the time using tower clamps across the line also provides more credence to the argument that tower clamps were used.

The skeptic in me has to side with factory proof.  Period.

The only thing that would convince me otherwise of what was factory installed on your car or any other 1958 for that matter would be an engine bay photo taken by the dealership at the time of delivery from the factory to the dealership. That would be the only evidence concrete enough to contradict the factory printed materials I have seen to date.

Now that's just being silly.  Below is probably one of the most original (unmolested) 1958's out there - not mine:

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Nice photo. Where's the evidence to prove that's not a replacement hose?  The soiling and patina on that hose does not match the rest of the other rubber components in that engine bay.

Looking for factory documented proof is not being silly.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Dan -

What I thought was being silly was providing "an engine bay photo taken by the dealership at the time of delivery from the factory to the dealership."  No dealership would do that or have that. 

I'm exploring some additional avenues, but it's difficult when even the Shop Manual has no pictures of the hose clamps.  I think we both would like to know the answer.  It's quite possible multiple hose clamp types were used at the Factory - I don't profess to know.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

57eldoking

Why can't both type of clamps have been used during the 58 model year? The car in an instructional video is bound to have been an early production car which may explain the issue.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I concur with Dan. The hose does not at all look original and the clamps are much too shiny for having been in place for 50-odd years.

I am curious as to why there appears to be a trace of blue paint on the lower edge of oil filter cover (center area facing the camera)... ???
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 02, 2016, 05:36:52 PM
I concur with Dan. The hose does not at all look original and the clamps are much too shiny for having been in place for 50-odd years.

I am curious as to why there appears to be a trace of blue paint on the lower edge of oil filter cover (center area facing the camera)... ???

The fact that this car has the identical clamps as mine (mine are nice and shiny also) as well as other 1958's I have seen at Hershey and Carlisle leads me to believe this is not just a coincidence.  In my case, I know them to be original, but no amount of posting is going to convince anyone.  I am trying to research proof.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Walter Youshock

And once again a thread about 1957s has become an argument about 1958s.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jon S

Well, the picture displayed was a 1958 3x2 engine with the slant top fuel pump.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT