News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

spare tire

Started by oldcarguy, March 02, 2016, 10:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarguy

New member seeking help. I have been assigned a member number, but have not received my packet in the mail yet. [member # 29928]
My current problem; I have a '41 '6219' that had nice looking wide white walls installed when I bought the car. I don't believe they are totally 'correct' but really look good on the car, with the wide marshmellowy? look. Now to the problem; I need a spare, but a tire to match the others will not fit into the spare tire well. It's too wide, so do I get a smaller tire or what? Any suggestions greatly appreciated...
Thanks
Don

Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Dan LeBlanc

What type of tires are installed on the car now?  Are they radial or bias ply?  What is the current tire size?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Are you planning on keeping and running the tires that are on there now?   Then the spare you are looking for is just for looks or do you want something functional?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

oldcarguy

Thanks T J and Dan,
Yes, Im going to run the ones that on the car, they are brand new. They are Coker L78/15 bias ply. Not really looking for functionality, but something that looks good and fits the tire well.
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

TMoore - NTCLC

Sometimes, the tire will fit in the tire well if you let some of the air out of it - try that, then you will have a matching tire as a spare, although it would need to be filled in the event you do actually have a flat.

oldcarguy

Thanks TMoore,
Will try that, maybe that'll do the trick...
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala