News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 Biarritz vacuum connections help

Started by Whit, March 05, 2016, 11:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Still working on the vacuum connections under the hood. I show two angles of a remaining empty connection port that I don't know where it goes. I am assuming the manifold check valve just below the left side of the front carburetor provides vacuum to heater blower diaphragm controls. The check valve side of the firewall cylindrical canister goes to the diaphragm on the windshield wiper system. If all this is correct, where does the open port indicated by the arrow connect?

Sorry, but I'm still confused. I photographed all this before I took it apart, but the photos show some vacuum tubes disappearing into darkness. Any advice greatly appreciated.    Whit           whitmcfarlin@msn.com

quadfins

I don't know of any need for vacuum in the washer or wiper system. I thought the washer pump was electric by 1960.

If that is the case, I do not know what purpose is served by the canister on the firewall - I thought it had something to do with the tri power system, but I am not very knowledeble with it.

So it is a mystery to me.

I do see that you have that vacuum modulator for the brake booster correctly installed.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

David Greenburg

Stay tuned.  Hoping to get an oil change in today before big storm hits, and I'll take a look at what I've got.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

Whit,

It's going to hit the 70's mid week.  I promise I;ll back my 60 out of the garage so I can snap some pics for you.  The small can above the master cylinder is for the tri power to that line goes back to the carbs/manifold.  I will take lots of pics and map it out for you.

The skinny line you were asking about goes through a grommet in the firewall and goes under the dash.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

Whit:

Here is a picture of what Brian is describing.  The hose coming in from the left is the skinny hose from the can.  It goes through the bottom hole of the multiplex grommet on the firewall.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Whit

David:

Is that skinny hose from the 'can' the one on the pre-check valve side out of the can? If it goes through the firewall multi-port grommet into the dash area, what does it connect to? Is that the vacuum source for steering column park brake release?

Jim: I'm not sure just what the vacuum diaphragm on the wiper/washer setup does, but it had a vacuum tube running to it.

David: I will look forward to your photos and input. Thank you.

Thanks to all: Whit

David Greenburg

Whit:

Yes, the skinny hose comes off the valve at the can, adjacent to the thicker hose coming off that valve.  I already posted the picture I have of the grommet, but could also post a picture of the hoses and valve at the can when I'm on my computer.  I'm not sure where the hose goes once through the firewall, although given the location of the grommet, the parking brake release seems like the most likely candidate.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Scott Halver

Hello Whit,
The canister on the firewall is dedicated to the tri-power ONLY.   You should have one hose going into the canister and one line going out.........   The line going out goes to the vacuum switch... see page 10-56 in the 1959-60 Shop Manual.   I would check to see how much vacuum you have going to the switch (put gage on line before connecting on the vacuum switch) to see if you have good vacuum.........  could also let the car sit for awhile to see if the canister holds vacuum.   If I remember right, I had around 20 inches of vacuum at idle or just off idle, say 1200 rpm.   My tri-power kicks down in about 1 second at near full throttle and releases immediately.   If everything is working right, the vacuum system is fine (some guys wanting to go to mechanical linkage).   Your vacuum pod that pulls the vacuum switch needs to have a 1/4 inch port.... smaller ports takes too long to apply the switch (found out this the hard way).   Hope this helps, Scott Halver CLC #24920   1960 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

Whit

Thanks Scott...great information. Today I 'plumbed' the vacuum distribution valve on the left side of the dash...controls the door locks and lock switches. That all seemed straight forward.

I still don't know where the 'T' connection on the line coming off the cylindrical can is supposed to go. The line after the check valve on the cylindrical can goes (I think) to the diaphragm on the windshield wiper motor (water pump?). I still don't know what that diaphragm does. I don't know where the missing line that connects to the 'T' is supposed to go.

The little check valve on the manifold goes to the controls for the blower unit (I think) and controls the flaps that divert air to the defroster, etc. There has to be a line going to the brake release diaphragm that connects to the 'valve' on the steering column. That 'may' be what connects to the 'T' coming out of the cylindrical can...I just don't yet know.

Thanks for the response...I will keep digging.     Whit

quadfins

I am very curious to know where the vacuum line connects to the wipers, and what it does. Do you have a picture?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Scott Halver

Hello Whit,
I have electric wipers on my 1960 Cadillac.........  thought vacuum wipers went out in 1958 ?      SHalver CLC #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

Whit

I will look at that tomorrow.  I may be mistaken but I though there was a diaphragm there.  Maybe not.

Whit

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Scott Halver on March 08, 2016, 07:25:42 PM
Hello Whit,
I have electric wipers on my 1960 Cadillac.........  thought vacuum wipers went out in 1958 ?     
1958 was the last year for vacuum wipers.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Whit

Well, I learned some things today. First, I get the DUNCE cap for the windshield wiper vacuum diaphragm. The vacuum diaphragm is below the wiper/washer motor and it is part of the accelerator/transmission control rod mechanism.
I ran the hose from the check valve side of the 'can' to this diaphragm. The vacuum side of the 'can' outlet has a 'T' that goes from the upper canister to the 'can' (no check valves involved here) and the leg of the 'T' goes through the firewall to the steering shaft safety switch. This switch releases the Park brake when the transmission is put into Park. From this switch a hose goes over to the diaphragm on the Park brake.
The tiny vacuum check valve on the left front of the manifold goes to the blower mechanism that diverts the air into various outlets.
I 'think' all this is correct, but I am open to corrections and input if you see me going astray. I attached some photos to show how I have it 'plumbed'.
Thanks   Whit

76eldo

Whit,

Sounds like you have it correct and the little clamps look great.

I do notice in your photos that you have a relay attached to the inner fender.  That doesn't belong there.  I believe it's the horn relay and I remember removing it when I took my inner fenders apart and that's not where it was.

I hope to get my 60 out of the garage tomorrow and will verify the connections for you.  If I can see the horn relay I'll take pics.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)