News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

390ci Oil Pump, Gasket Or No Gasket?

Started by Coupe Deville, March 06, 2016, 03:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone.

Looking for some input on a 1959 390. Is there suppose to be a gasket between the main bearing cap and the oil pump on the 390? When I removed the oil pump there was no gasket between the two mating surfaces, but is this the way it is supposed to be? I would think there is supposed to be a paper gasket between the main bearing cap and the oil pump. But that might not be true.

As always, thank you for the assistance. Hoping to have absolutely NO oil leaks after changing all of these gaskets!

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dan LeBlanc

I've redone a couple 1962 390's.  I remember using a paper gasket at the pump to replace the one that was there.  Was always present in my full gasket kits.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

Gavin,

I have replaced the gasket on the 472 between block and oil pump and it looked like no gasket my first time, had to ask.  Seems very unlikely there would be no gasket.  On oil pumps the gasket thickness is critical, check shop manual, should state if a gasket is there or not.  Takes a lot of time scraping the old one off at least in a 472.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadman56

Every 365 I have rebuilt has a gasket between pump & main bearing cap.  Thickness is not critical in this location & gasket set includes it.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820