News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

WHAT IS IT AND WHERE CAN I FIND IT???

Started by Chas, March 06, 2016, 06:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas

On my 1970 Coupe deVille, took my interior door panels off today to help find a rattle inside the door. Anyway, found that there's a seal/gasket that goes between the bottom of the inner door shell and the interior panel. It hangs out of the bottom of the door shell and looks like it seals against the interior rocker panel molding when the door is shut. Please don't confuse the seal I am speaking of with the actual door seal that wraps around the three sides of the door.

So.....what is the name of this "newly found" seal/gasket? Better yet, where can I get a pair of them? My brother in law is restoring  a VW Bus. He never has questions like this, what with his myriad of catalogs! D@&M HIPPY!!!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

RobW

motor's crash book lists it as  "weatherstrip-bottom of door"
Rob Wirsing

beastly beauties

I have been looking for a source for these rubber pieces also. It appears that any car that had work done that facilitated the removal of the door trim panel was at risk of losing these seals. I was able to find some ratty looking door panels cheap on ebay just for the rubber seals for my 71 Eldorado. I wound up  doing the same recently for my 91 Brougham. Cadillac wasn't the only GM product using these so you can look for other vehicles with similar length doors. It seems rather strange that the rubber weatherstrip producing companies don't offer such a common item. Good Luck, David Symonds

John Abend

I'm sure I have a few of these.  They act as draft guards.  I'll check tomorrow and confirm if and how many I have.
John Abend

'68 Sedan deVille Hardtop
'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

Chas

Just got off the phone with Clayton from Rubber The Right Way. He asked that I email him a few photos of the piece and he'll search his industrial supplier catalogs to see if there is something already similar out there. If such an animal DOES exist, Clayton said he would probably have to buy in bulk. Soooo.........there's a possibility we might soon have this part available to us. I'll keep everyone posted.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!