News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado roof rattles

Started by LenInLA, March 09, 2016, 06:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

I've been noticing an unpleasant rattle. I think I've traced it to the roof. Having never owned a convertible before, I don't know if it's expected or not. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scot Minesinger

The convertible top frame should not rattle on a Cadillac, even going back to the 1950's.  However, that certainly is a likely source of your rattle.  There are bushings in the pivot points that can wear.  Mechanisms could be worn.  Adjustments could be required.  Probably a good idea to learn all you can about your top first, buy the shop manual for 1976 Cadillacs and the body by Fisher 1976 shop manual.  There are also manuals on your top, referred to as GM scissor top used from 1971 thru 1976.  They were problematic even when new. 

Once you have read up and examined your top you can take it to a reputable repair shop.  Ask for references from thoroughly satisfied customers.  Cannot emphasize this enough, a bad shop will make things worse and cost you major money.  Unfortunately this is one of the negative sides of the hobby.

You have a Cadillac convertible with a 500 cubic inch engine - enjoy!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty