News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1927 Broke down in Montery Ca. on the way to Las Vegas - NEEDS HELP

Started by Rod Dahlgren #19496, March 09, 2016, 10:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Cadillac Carl's original unrestored 314 sedan chugged and sputtered into Montery California today on his drive from Washington to Las Vegas. He had the Johnson Carb and Delco dist rebuilt before he left home. He says it runs good when cold but as it warms up it begins to loose power and seems like it is running out of gas.
When it start this, he has tried pulling out the "choke" but it does not help. Fuel pressure is up (yes, original pressure system)
ANYONE in the Monterey area that can help? I can give you his contact info.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I don't know how close he is, but Ted Raines might know someone.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

gary griffin

I read a post that recommended carrying a current club directory on road trips, and this is an example of why we should.  Carl is a great guy and I hope he gets the assistance he needs.

Could this be as simple as his car is allergic to California gas?   If so some additives may help??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Rod Dahlgren #19496

He has tried an additive. Also put some foil around the carb to warm it up. He told me there is no change. It has gradually been getting worse as he progresses south. Only clue I have from his description that the longer he drives the worse it gets.. Told him to feel how hot the coil is.

TMoore - NTCLC

Trash in the tank?  The longer you drive, the more the trash restricts flow until it blocks enough fuel to impact the operation of the engine.

I think on a 1927 that still runs the pressurized fuel system, you might see tank pressure increase (could be wrong on this - not sure what maintains that 2 pound pressure point).

Try running the car on external fuel source to eliminate possibility of fuel tank/line/filter blockage

Johan Boltendal #158

Original led battery or optima gel fitted. 
Optima will lead to serious overheating of the coil and failure in the end when used with the cut out 3 brush gen.
Voltage on the coil will rise to 11 V easily.
Have been there and was looking for a fuel starvation as well.  Perhaps it helps

gary griffin

I just talked to Carl, coil is running cool.  He says the car runs when cool but progressively gets worse as it heats up. He is planning on changing spark plugs although his are pretty new as he has had good luck doing this in the past. He will be trying to get on line and see the posts that are generated later. He thinks it may be carburetor problem, his 1924 Cadillac has the same symptoms and the same updraft carburetor also. He also says both cars have recent valve work.  I recall a case where my cousin who was an aircraft mechanic rebuilt a hot rod with the same symptoms and it was due to solid lifters. Ran well cold but when the valves were heated up linear expansion if the valve stems kept the valves from fully closing.  I suspect something in the valve train??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Rod Dahlgren #19496

I don't know who adjusted the valves on his car. But that could be something to consider- Same with all the other possibilities. I don't know what the carb or dist settings are, no clue about timing-- nothing-- All we know for sure is-- it seems fin until it warms up AND the water temp gauge goes up to under 180. He has the radiator partly blocked off to get the temp up to that. MotoMeter seems to agree with his added temp gauge.

Cadillac Slim

Could it be a vapor lock?
One of the last things you consider & drove me crazy on my 38 Lasalle.
I have access to a trailer & live about an 1 1/2 hours away from Monterey if he still needs the help.
Best of luck.
1938 Lasalle - Sold
1940 Lasalle Conv. - Sold
1947 Series 61 Sedanette
1953 Coupe De Ville
1957 Coupe De Ville
1959 Series 62 2 Door
1960 Coupe De Ville
1964 Eldorado
1964 Coupe De Ville - Sold
1966 Coupe De Ville
1968 Conv. - Sold
1984 Eldorado Biarritz Conv. - Sold
2003 Deville - Sold
2004 Seville

Joe Konarowski

Have him check the gas pickup in the gas tank. The end screen could be dirty and it will restrict the gas flow. Will run fine for a while then slowly loose power as he drains his vacuum tank. A very easy check.  Mine did that a couple of years ago.

Stinson

I wonder if the intake radiator tubes are clogged.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Carl reported that he changed the spark plugs and it made a HUGE improvment. When he was here last week, I told him I thought it was running rich-- just the smell of the exaust and black soot confirmed that. He also had partialy covered the NEW rebuilt radiator, because the engine was running to COLD. I think these two problems could eventualy foul the spark plugs.

Carl Fielding

TEST , TEST , TEST.  AM I FINALY ABLE TO PARTICIPATE ? O.K. I will post the good news and hope it works. Thanks to everyone who reads this. Your help has jolted this slow old mind into what I call the "Killer Bee Mode". You know what to do if you suddenly find yourself attacked by a swarm of K.Bs , right ? Retreat as fast as you can along exactly the route you have just taken. So I retreated. Got here on a set of plugs that now have over 1000 miles on them. They look good but I replaced them. Left Portland running eng temp of only 140. I tried and raised it to maybe 150 by partially blocking the radiator. Since the ambient temp here is about 20 degrees warmer than Portland when I left 2 1/2 weeks ago , I took out the baffles , and jammed the failing radiator shutters open full. Runs GREAT at 130 or maybe even less with the new plugs. I have to get to the G.N. under own power as much as possible. That is what it is all about. I am optimistic at this point. Battery does indeed seem shot. New Optima tomorrow. Rather fry an Optima every several hundred miles (my Optima in the '24 lasted 4000 miles and 12 years , and might have  gone 2 or more times that) , than boil a lead/acid in the battery box. Spare coil seems like cheap insurance for a side of the road fix if necessary. By the way , no engine component other than the intake manifold and carb is cool to the touch. More about this later. Although rather warm , the coil is not as hot as the distributor or generator. The starter  which lives in the same neighborhood seems just a bit warmer , too. Thanks again for everyone's help and concern and interest. The help given to me makes me happy and confident. Rod Dahlgren has been indispensable for me. Charles Thompson recommended long time CLC member Mark Klein for nearby help. Mark helped me immensely yesterday , and welcomed the '27 into his airplane hangar to visit with his beautiful cars until the rain finally stops tomorrow. By Tuesday we are entering a warm dry spell. I will surpass the 1000 mile mark then. At last the route seems clear. I do not think I will have to put my transportation in a box to be transported to 'Vegas. At last I think I can let the Southern California fans know that I will be passing their way. You all got me thinking analytically , and I hope to meet you at the G.N. or on the road. Let's see if this posts. I will also be posting on AACA - General , and AACA Cadillac & LaSalle with more pictures. I better get on CCCA , I seem to remember a "Passport" encouraging driving our Classics by recognizing each 1000 miles driven. I anticipate 3000 miles plus on this trip. Here goes "post".  -  CC

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Carl is on the road. Running Great UNLESS he turns on the lights. First thought is put a voltmeter on the battery and see what is going on with generator. He has a spare battery now. His description of hard starting-- adds to what I think is going on. Low charge rate- of some kind.. 

Carl Fielding

Super great news : here in Santa Barbara with 1100 or 1200 miles or so down the coast from Portland , problem solved ! Coil was wired backwards ! That seems to be all that was wrong ! You know , when the old Cad was running well with crossed wires , it ran like a real good running old car or truck. It now runs like a real good running CADILLAC ! I sure wish I ran as well ! Thanks to all.
            See you in 'Vegas !  -  CC

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Carl, You only have 400 miles to go and a MONTH to do it! Hang in there buddy! See you in Las Vegas so i can finish that video!

Carl Fielding

Once the problem was solved , I had the most wonderful drive to Las Vegas ! Got in 2 days ago after some superb back roads driving. Did have to take a bit of 101 , and also I-15 between Barstow and Baker. Has anyone else got here yet? I am staying 20 miles away from the Suncoast , as they don't have rooms. I must get closer , as the logistics presently would limit my participation. The car is filthy , and I must detail it. Rain starting tonight through Monday complicates the situation. Friday and Saturday nights where I am are sold out , so I have to move on. Can not drive or park in the rain. Will not park in rpthe sun either. When you see the old Cad you will understand. If you are in 'Vegas and are interested , give me a call. - Carl  206-790-6912. Oh , also , I have been posting on AACA forums , under General Motors Products , Cadillac & LaSalle. Some interesting pics there. Note my engine temp going North towards Death Valley into a strong headwind. The Motometer is backed by a mechanical unit which showed temp never got out of the low 170s. Into the wind you must slow down quite a bit. I stayed at a steady 25 on level road. Somewhat slower climbing grades. Dropped in 2nd to crawl the steepest parts of the grades maybe only 2-3 times. The back roads from Portland totaled almost 1900 miles. I will have to calibrate the odometer for an exact number. What fun !

TMoore - NTCLC

Carl -

Congratulations on getting there, and well deserved accolades for driving your 1927 the whole way.  I really applaud folks like you that are willing to do what these cars were designed to do - get them out on the road.  I only wish I could have been following you - it would have been a blast.

Enjoy the meet, and have a thrilling drive back home!

Carl Fielding

Thanks , T !
            Yes , exactly ! When people are stunned at the quantity of solo miles I am accumulating , I give them perspective. By 1927 technology was advanced enough to fly the Atlantic Ocean. Of course a car back then was really vastly more complex than an airplane. With an air cooled engine operating at a very limited rpm range through a fixed pitch prop , airplanes were simplicity on the wings of a kite , basically. They had to be. Cadillacs , by the time of the V63 were robust reliable machines with no weak points. Didn't crack blocks , throw rods , overheat , break their transmissions or axles , burn clutches , etc. Some cars did back then. Not Cadillacs. Reading Maurice Hendry's account of 1924 Cadillacs severe duty across the Middle East for the Nairn Brothers was part of the reason I bought my '24 years ago. I am very grateful that cars of this period have mostly been left alone by the "collectors" and speculators. In this Nickle Era , you can have 2 cars for the price of one brass car , or one beautiful slightly newer car with chrome and industrial design adorning their lovely lines.
         Yes , I should have recruited a "camera gal" to shoot some video ! The sight of this old thing winding along the coast , or through the mountains , or cruising through the remote desert (please see AACA postings) must be amazing. I personally have never seen the likes of it. 10 or 12 years ago , I crested a hill in an extremely remote area of N.E. California as a '47 Cad convertible crested going the opposite way. It was a real surprise , I was in a momentary state of shock. He was cruising fast with his top up. Obviously making good time over a significant distance ! I would like to have someone drive it for me so I could follow along , pass the Cad , and then look back from all angles. The reaction I get from other folk on the road is very rewarding. Let's see if we both survive the even longer drive home intact ! Come see me at the G.N. - Carl