News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1157A -Turn Signal Bulb

Started by 66 Eldo, March 10, 2016, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66 Eldo

Has anyone noticed any difference in the look or fit of the modern  1157A or amber color turn signal bulbs compared to the original or older ones? 

The modern ones are a clear amber vs the original ones being frosted and more of a yellow orange color. I know it sounds weird but I found the newer ones contacts are a slightly different size and don't work. I also assume I will have to change both so the amber color is the same. 

TJ Hopland

That comes up a lot on many classic car forums so apparently the classic vendors have started carrying a 'correct' original style lamp.   I ordered some with other parts for a project I was working on but they were out of stock at the time so cancelled them off the order (I didn't want to end up paying another $10 freight for 2 lamps) so I didn't get to see what they looked like.     I have seen it listed on several vendor sites, they list the standard one for standard price then the 'original' ones with a note about how the others don't look right so hence premium price.   I have not looked for or noticed them from any Cadillac vendors or I would say who has them.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

66 Eldo

Thanks TJ, I've considered just painting the bulbs. Thats what the originals appear to be. Some I have seen aren't painted completely or have runs.   

I have a box of the newer 1157A I found somewhere and the other issue is the contacts seem to be a bit different and they don't work.

I'll try to post a picture. 

bcroe

Quote from: 66 Eldo
Thanks TJ, I've considered just painting the bulbs.
I have a box of the newer 1157A I found somewhere and the other issue is the contacts seem to be a bit different and they don't work.   

Make sure your paint can take the heat. 

I used to have problems with the bulb contacts.  I took some solder
and built up the contact height quite a bit to increase the spring
pressure; problem solved.  Bruce Roe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The issues derives from the fact that almost all of these replacement bulbs
are being made now in China -- not here.  Some are closer to original than others.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Try napa....  Bigger store. I got a side marker bulb from them. I dont remember the #, but napa had the bulb which was painted amber. The smaller store didnt have them but they opened a new huge location and they had those bulbs loose in the back..
Worth a try anyway.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

chrisntam

There are 1157s - clear
There are 1157A - amber (the "frosted" one)
Then there are the 1157NA (the clear amber ones)  The NA stands for natural Amber.....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jaxops

Many of these bulbs bought online or in the store now are, as mentioned before, made in communist China.  The ones I bought on eBay are the right everything....except they will not fit into the original lamp socket.  So I have a pile of them, and ended up finding NOS bulbs.  They fit right in and work....hopefully I won't too many more out!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Eldo66

Quote from: bcroe on March 10, 2016, 11:21:51 AM
Make sure your paint can take the heat. 

I used to have problems with the bulb contacts.  I took some solder
and built up the contact height quite a bit to increase the spring
pressure; problem solved.  Bruce Roe

That's a good suggestion - will try it.  I had a replacement bulb that overheated (maybe from shorted contacts) and ruined the Bakelite base that holds the contact springs.  Am in the market for a new turn signal assembly now.  And want to ensure that defective replacement bulbs from China or Mexico don't cause a recurrence. 

Paul Nesbitt

1966 Eldorado - Flamenco Red with bucket seats