News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why did Cadillac make the "flat top" cars in '59 & '60?

Started by chrisntam, March 11, 2016, 09:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

What was the draw to that style?  The rounded top (I think) goes better with the body.  I guess the owners got  a "reverse" sun visor for the back window though.  Maybe the style hasn't grown on me, I can't recall seeing them other than in pictures.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Flat top models provided slightly better clearance for rear seat entry/exit. This was especially the case in the 1961, the final year for the wraparound rear window compared with the six window version that year.

The 4 window greenhouse was shared with other full sized GM sedans of the same period therefore the 6 window was likely preferred among Cadillac buyers for that reason alone, if nothing else.

They tend to look a bit "gawky" but that is what endears them to collectors today as representative of the futuristic age.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Philippe M. Ruel

This design allowed very thin, almost invisible pillars. That was the apex of the 4-door hardtop concept, whether it was called DeVille, Riviera, Sport, Holiday or Catalina in the 3 previous years.

These Body by Fisher 1959 ads show how sleek the flat-top (Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac) sedans were, when compared to (Chevrolet and Cadillac) rounded hardtop coupes.
1952 60 Special in France.

Brian Laurance

I am a long-term fan of the 1959 / 1960 General Motors "flat top" 4-door hardtops, and the goal was evidently to make it appear that the roof was floating above the car's body.  Harley Earl supposedly wanted these roofs to be completely constructed of stainless steel, but the costs associated with the roof of the first generation Cadillac Eldorado Brougham revealed that this would be prohibitively expensive for the standard production cars.

Having said that, I do think that the "flat top" roof was somewhat less aesthetically successful on the Cadillac than on the other GM cars.  While the "flat top" looks great with the more angular forms of, say, a '59 Buick, it did not work as well with the more rounded forms of the Cadillac.

As noted above, the "flat top" was offered by all five passenger car divisions, but the six-window "round top" 4-door hardtop was available only on the high-end GM models -- Buick's Electra 225 Riviera Sedan and Cadillac Series 62, Sedan DeVille, and Fleetwood Sixty Special.

Cadillac Nut

"Less aesthecially successful"?  "Gawky"?  Come on guys.   I have a 59 flat top, Fleetwood, and had 6 window.  Flat top blows them all away in looks, by far.   Far sleeker more elegant car. Go see one in person.  Phillippe hit the nail on the head --it was the apex of the 4dr hardtop concept.

Garrett

quadfins

I suppose that, like so many things, it is a matter of personal taste.

I absolutely am drawn to the 59 & 60 flat tops; when I see one at a GN, I just keep coming back to stare. I prefer them to the 6 window body style - maybe it is the lower roof line that makes the 4 Windows look so sleek, as if they are always in motion.

OTOH, I really don't care very much for the '61 4 window styling. The raised roofline looks awkward, to me. Production numbers seems to bear this out.

Others are welcome to have opposite opinions.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Scot Minesinger

Jim,

I think the flat top looks best on a 1961 Cadillac, it more matches the style.  The 59 and 60 bodies don't seem to match as well as the 1961.  The flat tops are very cool.  If I buy a 1959-61 Sedan save a Fleetwood, probably will try for a flat top.

To each their own.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jon S

Quote from: Brian Laurance on March 11, 2016, 06:24:32 PM
I am a long-term fan of the 1959 / 1960 General Motors "flat top" 4-door hardtops, and the goal was evidently to make it appear that the roof was floating above the car's body.  Harley Earl supposedly wanted these roofs to be completely constructed of stainless steel, but the costs associated with the roof of the first generation Cadillac Eldorado Brougham revealed that this would be prohibitively expensive for the standard production cars.

Having said that, I do think that the "flat top" roof was somewhat less aesthetically successful on the Cadillac than on the other GM cars.  While the "flat top" looks great with the more angular forms of, say, a '59 Buick, it did not work as well with the more rounded forms of the Cadillac.

As noted above, the "flat top" was offered by all five passenger car divisions, but the six-window "round top" 4-door hardtop was available only on the high-end GM models -- Buick's Electra 225 Riviera Sedan and Cadillac Series 62, Sedan DeVille, and Fleetwood Sixty Special.

Harley Earl was gone . . . it was a Bill Mitchell show in 1959.  If you've seen renderings of the proposed 1959's of Harley Earl, they were very similar to the 1957/1958's.  The six window round top was a differentiator to keep the old "C" bodies different than the "A" and "B" bodies; hence, only available in the Electra and Cadillac.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

D.Smith

Why did Cadillac offer so many body styles at all?    Easy.  The luxury of choice.

The flat top was a cool variation.   I'd think that huge rear window would make those cars great for road trips so you can all enjoy the scenic vistas all around you. 

But ultimately the buyers decide which roofline was the best.    As pointed out, the six window became the decided winner in 61 hands down.     But when the roofline changed in 62 the tide began to turn and the four window with its solid rear C-pillars soon outsold the dated looking six window by 63.

As for 59 and 60 I like both styles.  The flat tops just look wilder to me.  But on a Fleetwood Sixty special I think the more formal six window style fits that model better.    But if it was 1959 and I showed up at a car rental lot to pick up a Cadillac for a cross country drive, the flat top would be my choice.   Well, if there wasn't a convertible available!   LOL

Blade

Simply for a panoramic view. Actually I believe all 4 doors were supposed to have the flat tops for the panoramic view but probably after conducting some customer researches they decided to make two versions. I do know the original idea was to have the panoramic view.

Cheers!

jock82

My dad bought a new 1960 Invicta 4 door flattop in December 1959.  I loved the  look and preferred it over the more rounded Electra 225 Riviera 6 window sedan.
By the way, that was our first air-conditoned car and I miss it every time I try to see to the side on my 2009 DTS.  My vision is blocked by the high head rests, and think center post.  Those 59 and 60 GM cars are among by all time favorites, there wasn't an ugly car in the bunch.  I took my driver's test in that car.

Guy Moore
CLC #12650
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

Walter Youshock

Luxury of choice was certainly one reason.  Another was simply that they could.  And still another was the expanding "shared body" program.

The flat tops were sleek, cool, and evoked a convertible sedan.  True essence of the hardtop convertible look.  Plus these cars shared the lower coupe windshield.

To me, the '60 flat top is beautiful.  I'd have a black '60 Special and a Persian Sand flat top Sedan deville...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Joe G 12138

One item not brought up; Styles of the time for people, not cars!  Many men, as well as women wore hats in those days. Many wanted headroom enough to wear their hats while in the car, and chose models that allowed it. I remember my uncles griping about the new '61 Electra that one of them bought because they had to take their hats off. I remember another time one of them purposely chose a new '65 Catalina Sedan over the Bonneville hardtop strictly over what he felt was proper headroom. GM offered buyers a choice then for different buyers; that was great!  Joe G

David Greenburg

And the headroom was significantly greater with the 6 window.  Maybe that is why the 60S only cam that way; your Fleetwood buyer was  going to be dressed properly, including a hat.  It took me a while to adjust to the lower roofline when I went from 'many year of six window (60S) ownership to my current Seville (same headroom as a flat top);  banged my head pretty good a couple of times.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Terry Wenger

Here is an interesting thing about the flat topped Cadillacs. In 1961 Lindberg Cadillac in St. Louis had its body men fill in the rear windows on a number of flat topped 62's and DeVilles and substitute a small 75 series rear window, giving the car a more formal look. I haven't seen one in a long time. I have attached a picture of one.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Quentin Hall

I was never really a flattop fan until one drisly night in Sydney about 20 years ago. Whilst driving the backstreets of town I saw a vision of  a metallic green 60 under a streetlight covered in droplets of diamond The owner was leaning against the streetlight, smoking and the neon and city lights shimmered off the wet road. It was a vision as if painted byTom Waits, Jack Kerouac and Jackson Pollock. The 60 was  so sleek and modern like a jet fighter and pilot waiting   for their next mission.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jason Edge

My question would be Why did they stop making the Flat Tops?!?
My favorite Cadillac of the 1959-1961 Era Period!

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

D.Smith

Quote from: Jason Edge on March 14, 2016, 05:49:57 PM
My question would be Why did they stop making the Flat Tops?!?

Low sales in 1961. 

Flat tops sold = 9,547  (deVilles & series 62s combined)

compared to;

Six window Sedans sold = 52,631  (deVilles & series 62s combined)

So they were outsold 5 to 1.

Plus the fashion had changed to a more formal roofline when the 61 Continental Sedans debuted.
Thus the new 4 window sedan roofline in 62 which sold far better.

Brian Laurance

Quote from: Jon S on March 13, 2016, 11:20:18 AM
Harley Earl was gone . . . it was a Bill Mitchell show in 1959.  If you've seen renderings of the proposed 1959's of Harley Earl, they were very similar to the 1957/1958's.  The six window round top was a differentiator to keep the old "C" bodies different than the "A" and "B" bodies; hence, only available in the Electra and Cadillac.

But Harley Earl absolutely had a hand in the final design of the 1959 GM cars.  It's true that Earl was in Europe when GM Styling abruptly changed direction for the 1959 program.  But Earl did not retire until 1958, and GM's 1959 model cars went on sale during September, 1958.  Earl was the man in charge when the design of these cars was finalized. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Earl still had the final say on styling up until the 1962 model year - which would have ended around 1959 given the typical 3 year lead time from drawing board to production.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute