News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Just bought a 1971 couple deville in my opinion amazing shape! need some advice.

Started by oldsaltysack, March 15, 2016, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaltysack

First post so hello, was looking for some advice on parts.. hood hinges to start.. also any other advice for manuals, parts,best tips.. in southern CA if that helps thanks in advance.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Charles,

Congratulations on your purchase.   These cars are wonderful, and will be appreciating in value as time goes on.

As for the hood hinge, looking at the dent in the front of the car, bumper and hood, I would say that you are in need of a replacement hinge, as yours would appear to be severely bent, either from the prang, or simply excessive opening and closing and loose pivots.

Sadly, I don't have any replacements, but someone here should be able to assist.

As for the Shop Manual, go to ebay.   They are always there, and go for the paper type, not the CD version.   

With parts, I have found Rock Auto has a vast array of parts for most makes and models.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Congratulations on a great looking car. Thanks for posting a picture.
On the manual, I agree with everyone go to eBay. Get a real shop manual, not a Chiltons.Many people say get a real book but I have the CD. It works great for me. I have it downloaded on both my computer and phone. It makes for great reading and if I need to I just print out the pages I'm going to be working with.
As for parts, many people will give you suggestions. I have had good luck with Arizona vintage auto parts. They will probably have the hinge you need. Probably worth replacing both has one will be worn out from the other having failed. Congratulations on a great car and keep posting pictures.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

D.Smith

Congrats on your purchase!      I resized your photo for you.

Replacement hood hinges shouldn't be too hard to find.   If not on Ebay try some of the Arizona yards.

jwjohnson86

Nice purchase!  I found stuff available at Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix.  Have fun cruising.

www.dvap.com
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Scot Minesinger

Super nice car!  Welcome to the hobby!

The shop manual is worth its weight in gold, e-bay will help you there.

On the hood hinges, e-bay is also a good place to buy them.  However, be careful.  Many sellers guess or miss list the year and it is hard to tell if they are wrong and there is nothing worse than having the whole car apart to realize that the part is wrong.  As a general rule in this hobby, carefully check every part even from the most trusted supplier visually before beginning the take apart work.  If you want to go all out, you can buy a hood hinge pair on e-bay and after verifying they are correct, send them to SMS in NH and they will restore them.  Even apparently good hinges have worn pivot points that need to be fixed or back of hood will ride up at windshield.  You can tell if pivot points are worn by removing springs (just remove one at a time) and if hood sits level that is the problem.

The buying parts (often wrong), and hiring others to work on your car (they often make careless costly mistakes) is the unfortunate part of the hobby.  I started out writing checks for repair work, and after a while out of necessity I became my own best mechanic.

Enjoy your Cadillac!

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

71-74 were the same hinges all models so at least you are not looking for a one year one model item if yours are damaged.

Improper adjustment can also be a cause for the hood not pulling down at the windshield.   Mine was real bad when I bought the car.   Had them rebuilt and it helped but still was not right.   Read here that what is actually needed is to adjust the hinges up to make the hood pull down.   Sounds backwards but that is what it takes.  Did it a few years ago and its still good.  Wish I had read that tip years ago.   Most of the holes are slotted so there is room for them to move but there is one bolt that is a different direction, on that to get things right on my car I had to get a longer bolt and use a couple body shims.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dave,
Try the adjustment procedure in the Fischer Body manual first.  If you cant bring the hood into satisfactory alignment i would suggest you contact SMS in Derry, New Hampshire.  They are the Mecca for hood hinges.  I have gotten 6 or 7 pairs of hood hinges from them over the last 20 years and have NEVER been disappointed.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty