News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 compared to 1958 trunk kits

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, March 16, 2016, 12:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

I am having the interior for my '57 Series 62 convertible restored by Karl Cranston out of Hiwassee, Virginia.  Karl called with a question this morning:  he has a trunk pattern on hand for a '58 Series 62 available to use for my car if there are no differences between the trunk materials and panel shapes, etc. between the two years.  Does anyone know of any differences between the two years we need to be concerned about?
Also, if anyone needs leather reproduced, we are using Vince Santoro of Custom Leather Finishing out of Englishtown, New Jersey for the hides.  Vince was able to duplicate the grain of the leather and the turquoise-green metallic finish to match my original material absolutely perfectly.  Both Karl and Vince have been wonderful to work with on this project.   

Walter Youshock

Trunks are very different.  Biggest reason is the rear chassis.  The trunk in the '58 has a larger pan because of the coil vs leaf spring suspension...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jon S

Quote from: Walter Youshock on March 16, 2016, 01:30:45 PM
Trunks are very different.  Biggest reason is the rear chassis.  The trunk in the '58 has a larger pan because of the coil vs leaf spring suspension...

Correct and spare tire cutout is different on the two years due to rear suspension change (leaf to coil springs).
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks, Walter and Jon, I really appreciate your replies and your knowledge of the differences between these two years; I had never realized how different the rear suspensions were between the 1957 model year and the 1958 model year.  Surprising to me in a way since there are so many similarities to the two years otherwise.  Thanks again,
Jack.