News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Re: Chief Judges Blog – Entry #8

Started by Tom Hall 7485, September 19, 2015, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

Mr. Cascio, could I ask whose wording this is?  Is it your summary, or is it a direct quote of someone else's words?

I hope there is going to be more specific guidance about what constitutes "Limited Production Cadillacs".
"...[T]hose factory-produced vehicles that differ in certain respects from the standard models" is vague.

"It includes [but is apparently not limited to] cars modified by outside companies to the specifications of, or with the approval of, General Motors Corporation prior to delivery to Cadillac dealers."  Well, that would include the Talisman, which has special edition work that GM sublet to ASC.  It would also include a bunch of cars that ASC fitted with sun roofs and Astroroofs before those cars were shipped to the dealers.  The Allante, which had a body made by Pininfarina, but which was not a car "modified" by Pininfarina, doesn't fit this description.  Same issue for the '59 and '60 Eldo Brougham.

Rhetorical Question 1:  Do we really need to develop a new term of art to judge the Talisman and cars with sun roofs?

Rhetorical Question 2:  Do we need to create a separate judging Division for Talisman and sun roofs?

Rhetorical Question 3:  Would this new term also include cars not delivered to Cadillac dealers, such as most hearses, flower cars and ambulances, where Cadillac supplied a commercial chassis to a funeral coach builder and the car was delivered to a funeral home, city or ambulance company? 

I am surprised to see the abolition of Senior Division.  I thought Senior Division worked fairly well.  It is now thought to be conceptually defective.  (See my P.S. below.)

I'm a little alarmed, because I see a trend toward proliferation of new terms and added complexity in general.  I hope the Club does not make judging so intricate that it takes lawyers to figure it all out!  (I think judging at a GN is a big enough pain in the butt for all concerned as it is.)

9/20/15 P.S.:  I am also a little alarmed because I do not see that the Judging Committee has made much of a case for some of the revamping it proposes.  The Judging Committee report, which is 28 pages long, may be found here: http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/judgingreport.pdf  It does at least give some reasons for eliminating Senior Division (page 24), but the word "Senior" would continue to be used, now for awards in other Divisions (page 25).  I'm afraid I don't see where that report makes a case for creating the Limited Production Division.  Has the Club approved the creation of that Division without knowing exactly which cars are going to be in it?  Has it approved the new Division without revealing to the rank-and-file members exactly which cars are going to be in it?
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.