News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

checking Hydramatic fluid

Started by 49 Convertible, March 23, 2016, 02:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Convertible

I have been under the impression that when checking the fluid in a 48 or 49 hydramatic the car must be running, fluid warm, brake on, and in drive.  I am now told that there was a "serviceman's bulletin" stating that to check fluid the engine should be running and in neutral.  Help
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Bobby B

Herman,
Hi….Your confusion is  justified. Every Hydra-Matic manual that I own, has a different way of checking the fluid. The method that I have used is to warm up the engine for a minute or two and then shut it down. Pull the dipstick, wipe it, re-insert it, pull it again to get a reading, and add if necessary. It's the simplest way to do it, and I've been doing it that way for years with no issues. There are other methods, and one does involve checking it at idle, in Neutral, if that's what you were referring to. Hope this helps!
                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH