News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bronze Coloured Convertible Top

Started by Daddio, March 26, 2016, 11:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddio

Hi Folks,

I've delayed replacing the convertible top on my 1959 Biarritz for years.  I hadn't been able to find the correct colour, didn't want to dye a white one and so I pretty much gave up and only took her out on the nicest of days.

But based on a couple of encouraging threads in this forum, I recently emailed Putt Georgi of ARO 2000 regarding a top ... specifically, a bronze (sometimes referred to as Persian Sand) coloured top. His web site showed samples that appeared 'close', so I requested them. 

He is very interested in providing the correct material and emailed me back to send swatches of my old top, which I believe 'was' the correct colour before the Arizona sun got to it, or send him my 1959 Cadillac Data Book for reference.  I'm hesitant to send him my Data Book, given it's rarity, but I'm mailing a swatch from a protected area under the rear deck and well liner.

I have two questions: 
1) Is anyone else interested in acquiring a 'bronze' coloured convertible top?
2) Does anyone live near ARO 2000 in Walden, New York and do they have a Data Book for Putt to see? 

Thanks for your help, Mike
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

59-in-pieces

Mike,
Do you mean the 1959 CADILLAC COLOR AND UPHOLSTERY SELECTIONS book.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

76eldo

I had one of this books that I purchased with a lot of 59 parts a few years ago.
I sold the book since I doubt I will ever own a 59 but I took high res photos of every sample in the book.

If I have the sample of the top I will post the photo here tonight.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Daddio

yes Steve, I meant the '1959 Cadillac Color and Upholstery Selections' book, under the 'Top Materials' section. Thanks for clearing that up.

Brian thanks also for your offer, but my brittle old swatch is a pretty good match, colour wise.  I'm putting it in the mail this week. I emailed ARO 2000 a photo, but they wanted to see something 'in person'.

They said they've done special colour orders for Chevy guys based on their GM Upholstery books, so I'm anxious to see if they can duplicate a Cadillac bronze top. 
Mike

1956 Thunderbird

66 Eldo

Used to be a guy that advertised in Hemmings and sold convertible tops and was in the northeast, I think Massachusetts if I remember. His name was Sidney and he was the only guy that had a yellow top for my 62. This was back in 91 but just thought I'd mention in the rare chance he's still around and others may have contact info.

59eldorado

Quote from: Daddio on March 26, 2016, 05:27:28 PM
yes Steve, I meant the '1959 Cadillac Color and Upholstery Selections' book, under the 'Top Materials' section. Thanks for clearing that up.

Brian thanks also for your offer, but my brittle old swatch is a pretty good match, colour wise.  I'm putting it in the mail this week. I emailed ARO 2000 a photo, but they wanted to see something 'in person'.

They said they've done special colour orders for Chevy guys based on their GM Upholstery books, so I'm anxious to see if they can duplicate a Cadillac bronze top.

Mike,
would you let me know about the result? I'll be taking on the same project later this year. Any help greatly apreciated:-)
Thanks, Georg
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2017 CT6

Rod Dahlgren #19496

ARO 2000 is Georgi Putt - I get tops from him- He has been providing tops for years.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Daddio

It turns out that the minimum production run for any unique non-standard top material is 500 yards, or approx 75 tops.  ARO2000 has asked Haartz if they have any comparable material to my sample ... NOS I suppose ... but that's highly unlikely.

The closest match I can find to the bronze colour in the 1959 upholstery book is  'A50 saddle 1463ST'  as shown on their web site: http://www.aro2000.com/pinpoint_topping_color_chart.htm . Unfortunately, it only comes with a black lining, not tan as original.

So if I want to be true to original, the only solution may be to dye a white top.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird

P Cedergren

Hi Mike,

Just a thought.
Have you tried Electrontop to see what they can do?
They have been in business manufacturing tops since 1960, I ordered a new top from them years ago and was very happy with it.

http://www.electrontop.com/

Be good,
Per

P Cedergren 4218