News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How do you change headlights in a 1959 Cadillac?

Started by fifthrider, March 26, 2016, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fifthrider

May '59 Caddy is running ( as far as I can tell ) original headlights, I seriously doubt these things have ever been replaced.  About a year ago I bought the replacement halogen upgrades and just earlier today got around to having time to install them.  Unfortunately I can't figure out how to remove the old headlights. 

I've done way harder things on this car, this should be comparatively easy, shouldn't' it?

According to the shop manual (page 12-37) I'm supposed to "Remove 4 bolts in an access door and pull it out through the top."  There are no illustrations so I have to guess at what they mean by an access door.  I see no door.  I've unbolted the 4 bolts on the pan just above the headlights ( and inside the engine compartment when you lift the hood ) but this piece of metal won't pull out.  It seems to be welded to the inside of the car's fender.

I've tried removing bolts from the back of the headlights, no luck.  I've tried to see if the chrome rings around the headlights pop off so that I can access the "door" but that doesn't pop off either.  I'm real concerned I'm going to break something if I keep going at this rate. 

Does anyone know how to just change the headlights in a '59 Caddy?

The Tassie Devil(le)

You have to remove the screws that hold the chrome headlight covering, which for some unknown reason, is called the door.

Then you will see a stainless steel ring surrounding the actual light, and this is attached by three small screws.   

These come out, BUT, there is a spring that has to be released from the stainless steel ring, that holds the head light unit, lamp, ring and bucket into position on the two adjusting screws.

I use a hook to release and replace this spring, but it is strong, so be careful.

Once the screws, and spring is removed, the light simply comes out.

When replacing the original lights with stronger ones, I would strongly advise inserting a relay into the light wiring.   This takes the current strain off the headlight switch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fifthrider

You sir, are a lifesaver.  Thank you.  I didn't know if I'd get any reply in a year's time let alone so fast.

So the chrome trim up front is the "door"?  Wow.  Not an intuitive application of the word.  I'm assuming those bolts which release it are accessible from the inside of the engine compartment so I'll head back tomorrow morning and start anew.

Thank you also for the warning about what I'll have to expect with the spring and for the info about the relays.  That makes good sense.  I've got a replacement headlight switch too since the rheostat went out in the existing one.  Knowing how the old one died it makes sense to follow your advice and relay those lights so that the switch isn't bearing all the load.

THANK YOU again Bruce.  Much appreciated.

n2caddies

Everything is accessed from the front of the car. The 4 chrome screws on the "door" are Phillips heads that are recessed into the cast frame of the door. The stainless ring that actually hold the bulb in are where the 3 slotted scews are on the 3 tabs. Definatly release that spring or you can damage the ring. Don't mess with the flat headed Phillips screws as they are for adjusting the headlights and you will mess up the lamp alignment. I suppose the new bulbs may require a readjustment anyway as they probably have a different foci pattern. I'm not a fan of the newer bulbs as I think they put additional strain on the headlight switch (hence the relay suggestion from Bruce) and the generator especially in winter. Better opportunity for a dead battery. IMHO.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Quentin Hall

If you have a cheap pair of those flat Chinese wire crimpers they are perfect for grabbing the spring .
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MY 59

relays are a damn good idea for these older cars,
I run them on the low/high beam circuit on my Fairlane as it used to heat the switch and just cut the lights out....perfect after leaving a great car cruise at 10 PM up in winding hilly roads :) total black and trees nearby both sides haha!!
$5 relay and some wiring took the stress off these old switches and components, works just fine now

in fact I have noticed how hot my ignition switch gets on my 59 with lots of accessories running, so will get onto fitting relays to reduce the stress soon :)
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

fifthrider

Thank you all.  Solid advice all around. 

I cannot believe how many times I've looked at those chrome "doors" and NEVER seen those screws.  Those are far more hidden and recessed than I would have imagined.  I even spent my previous day on my back under the grille adjusting the positioning of that so you'd have thought I would have caught them at that time.  In the last 5 years the headlights are probably the only thing I haven't opened/replaced. ( That and the A/C pump and forget that.  I can live without. )

Again, thank you all.  ( Car looks lopsided.  It is not.  Photographer is lopsided. )

Jeff Wilk

Congrats!  Dont lose those screws. They are Philister Head screws and not easy to find locally. Also, if the headlights you removed have T-3 in the center of them you may want to hang onto them or sell them if they work. You will be surprised at what they fetch.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville