News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930 V16 Cadillac - Looking for 28 inch doors above running board

Started by Marigold, March 28, 2016, 03:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marigold

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of my dad, who, while working on the first computers, refuses to have one! So the arrangement is I Google for him and find things on-line.

Dad (Norm) has a 1930 V16 Cadillac which he's been restoring since the 1970s.  It's body #2 (out of 96), model 4381, and used to belong to Marcus Loew who bought it for his wife. (As in Lowes theatre and hotels).  I'm guessing some of you know Dad already.

I don't know the protocol on this forum.  I just know I love my dad and I love this car, so I'm trying to help him source stuff so he can finish it (he'll be 82 this year). No, I'm never selling it.

He's looking for: 1930-31 Cadillac 28 inch doors that go just above the running board, but below the actual doors to the car.  These little doors hide the battery and tools.  If you have some or can recommend someone who might (Pete Sanders doesn't), would you please do me the honour of replying.  (Yes, that's honour with a U because I now live in London - so I'm helping long distance!)

He's also trying to get in touch with Bill Scherer. We're guessing Bill has gone to Florida to get away from the Michigan winter, but does anyone know when Bill will be back as we can't reach him at the moment?

Thanks so much.

Kindest regards,
Maria Ingold

Chris Cummings

Hi Maria,

I've spoken with your Dad and I know of the car.  Norm Uhlir, the fellow your Dad bought the car from, is one of the elder statesmen of the club, and that Cadillac has appeared in The Self-Starter numerous times. 

There are other sources for early V-16 parts.  Dick Shappy in Rhode Island has tons of early '30s parts.  Wayne Elliott in Massachusetts also has lots of parts, but during the winter months he captains a charter yacht in the Caribbean.  Other people to check with might be Tom Young in California, and Brian Joseph in Michigan, who re-manufactures a lot of V-16-specific engine and mechanical parts, like the braided metal fuel hoses for the engine compartment.  All those names are in the CLC Directory (except Brian Joseph -- He's Classic & Exotic Service, Inc. in Troy Michigan (248) 362 0113 classicandexotic.com).

If you'd like more information, send me a PM or phone me - I'm in the Directory.

Hope that helps,

Chris Cummings

Chris Cummings

And e-mail is ccummings at cftc dot gov.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

Marigold

Thanks Chris. 

Dad has a lot of hiding places for stuff, so he just found all the doors!  But he probably needs more bits and pieces, so I'll keep that in mind.

Kindest regards,
Maria Ingold