News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac Left Front Door Frozen Shut

Started by dbaers, March 28, 2016, 09:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaers

While parting a 1970 Cadillac Sedan deVille I discovered the left front door latch assembly is frozen in the closed position. Trying the inside or outside handles does not accomplish anything. It does not have the power lock actuator. How can I get this door open besides cutting a large hole into the side and beating it until it gives up?

Any help would be welcome!

Scot Minesinger

This has happened to me on one of my 1970 Cadillacs that is in service.  It is the result of a sagging hinge pin/bushing making the striker seem out of adjustment (too high).  To open the door, unlock and get inside the door.  Interior door panel is removed.  Wearing rubber soled shoes, and pulling the door latch mechanism open, kick the door and it will open.  This forum taught me that trick and worked real well.  When door is open, lube latch mechanism and lower striker slightly if you want to avoid the problem again.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

beastly beauties

Instead of kicking the door from the inside, place a large pry bar or long piece of steel between the bottom of the door and lower door sill(body) and gently pry up while manipulating latch rod. Use your foot on the bar to free up your hands. This will temporarily realign the door with the body to allow the latch and catch to disengage because of the sagging hinges or body. I used to run into these situations with collision work back in those days.   Good luck, David Symonds

60 Cadillac

My wife had a 70's Buick which likely used a similar door lock mechanism, and after just a few years, the lock mechanism itself rusted shut.  After taking the door panel off to gain access and saturating the lock mechanism with a mixture of ATF and acetone, I was able to reach inside the door and tap the rusted part free enough to open the door. The most difficult part was removing the interior door panel with the door closed.
Dennis Smith