News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

!959 Cadillac Chrome & Stainless Steel Trim

Started by R S Steven, March 29, 2016, 07:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R S Steven

Hi All,
I am considering having some of the chrome and stainless redone on my wife's Grandfather's car.  I was wondering if the stainless is chrome plated or just polished?  My concerns are gun sights on top of the fenders to the stainless trim and the fender side spear to the door stainless not matching. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Cheers,
Rob

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The "gunsights" and fender crown moldings were made of two different materials. The gunsights were chrome plated pot metal; the strip is stainless steel.

Same thing on body side trim where just the front fender spear is pot metal (chrome); the rest stainless steel.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

n2caddies

All the exterior stainless trim is "flashed" chromed for color consistency as several vendors supplied the trim. That is why if you buff the trim too hard you will burn through the chrome showing the yellower tone of the stainless.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Jeff Wilk

It is wuite a stark difference when you see the original flash chromed stainless on a car. It "pops" and really looks so much more elegant than the buffed through to stainless. That looks nice too.....but the flash chromed is superb.

Jeff W.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

eldo59

I've heard the term "flashed chrome". What is it exactly?
Mauro Bonfitto

n2caddies

My understanding is it is a single layer chrome finish electroplated directly to the base metal without the usual plated layers of copper or nickel associated with traditional plating.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

R S Steven