News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Trunk Paint

Started by Evan Wojtkiewicz, April 02, 2016, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Wojtkiewicz

What's correct paint for the interior of my '67 trunk? It's currently body color (which looks original) but I've seen many paints available in black/aqua or white/gray splatter claiming to be correct for the era. There's a small area where water has leaked in from the back of the trunk lid seal and a tiny bit of surface rust here and there and I figure that'll be a good spring project when it comes out of storage.

Also, if anybody knows a good place to get a complete trunk lining/carpet kit, I'd be interested.

Thanks!
-Evan
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Dan LeBlanc

Splatter paints are correct for Chevy and lower lines that did not have trunk liners. For Cadillac, red oxide primer with black spray on rubber sound deadening in key areas with over spray from when they painted the body.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

savemy67

Hello Evan,

The attached photos show the interior of my '67 trunk.  As Dan said: red oxide, body color, and sound deadening are original applications to the sheet metal.  On top of this went masticated rubber sound-deadener, and the carpet liner.  Since the carpet liner, and the cardboard trim covered everything, Cadillac was not too concerned with how the body color and sound deadening were applied.

Christopher WInter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Thanks Chris and Dan.

I guess I'll just paint it black or dark gray. I'm just glad I don't have to shell out for body color spray paint. I assume that a can of that mastic lining shouldn't be too hard to find.

-Evan
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car