News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959' Warped Timing Chain Cover Bolt Holes on a 390ci

Started by Coupe Deville, April 03, 2016, 12:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone,

Not sure if my torque wrench is inaccurate, or if my factory reproduction shop manual is wrong (says 10-12ft-lbs), but while I was putting my dads 390 back together today I was torquing the timing chain cover bolts (I got to the third bolt up and realized something was wrong when the cork gasket squeezed out and split) and those three bolt holes got warped. So what is the proper procedure for making them flat again? I'm a little upset because I was finally going to get the front of the engine all back together today, and I just painted the cover today, so if Ive got to start banging this thing I will probably have to repaint it.. Oh well. The new gasket will be here tomorrow, and I still have more than half the can of Bill Hirsch Cadillac Blue left. I think I'm going to borrow my friends torque wrench for this tomorrow. The bolts felt really tight when torquing them down, and I made sure the torque wrench was at 12ft-lbs. I never had a problem like this before.

Thank you.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

The Tassie Devil(le)

The book does say 10 to 12 ft. lbs.

I have never heard of "warped" heads.   Sounds to me like they are about to break.

Me thinks that your torque wrench was incorrectly adjusted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

n2caddies

Hi Gavin
Any chance you have the wrong bolts and they are too long?
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Coupe Deville

Maybe I wasn't very clear, my apologies.

The bolt holes, (the through holes) on the timing chain cover are now warped, bent, inverted inward. Like when you over-tighten a oil pan and it leaves those bumps on the pan. I'll try and snap a picture tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure I have the correct bolts. The 9 bolts for the front cover. They don't bottom out in the block. Probably cant make good sense of it right now because I'm really tired. Back in the morning. 

Thanks for the responses.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Bobby B

Gavin,
Hi. As stated above, I would check my torque wrench against another one. I've had them hang up sometimes in the rachet mechanism. Before you put that wrench away, do you turn it all the way down to take the tension off of it? Did you ever use it to loosen a nut/bolt? 12 ft.lbs. is easily obtained with 1/4" drive tools. Lucky you didn't break something….. :o
                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Roger Zimmermann

I never torque those small bolts with a torque wrench. Just by feeling and I don't have a leaking gasket...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha.   Bending the flange.

This is corrected by simply holding the timing cover against a flat piece of steel, or any flat surface will do, as a mandrel, with the bolt-side to the mandrel.   Then simply with a small hammer, restore the flange to its' original shape, that is flat.

Don't hit too hard as to distort the outer right-angle edge of the flange, but just enough to flatten the bolting surface.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

I agree on not using a torque wrench on small items like that cover.

Snug plus a little bit would be my setting.

High clamp items like head bolts need to be torqued to a setting but if you straighten out the cover bolt holes and just snug everything down it won't leak.
Your torque wrench must be way off or maybe it was dropped a few times.

Good luck.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

savemy67

Hello Gavin,

Like others have posted, your torque wrench could be out of calibration, and the shop manual could be incorrect.  My original '67 shop manual is incorrect in a few places when it comes to bolt diameter, pitch, and torque specification - bummer.

For small bolts with a presumably low torque specification, you may want to get a beam-type torque wrench.  This type of torque wrench may not be as accurate as an expensive click-type torque wrench, but it may give you a better feel when torquing small fasteners.

You may also want to check some of the fastener/engineering web sites that provide charts showing the maximum torque values for fasteners of a given diameter and pitch.  This is where I found that my shop manual was incorrect.

On many stamped steel covers, the circumference of the bolt hole is slightly raised on the bolt head side of the cover.  This feature helps to ensure that the cover squeezes the gasket just the right amount.  Overtightening, as you found out, distorts the area around the bolt hole in the opposite direction.  If your cover's bolt holes were originally flat, you can restore the area around the bolt holes per Bruce's instructions.  If your cover's bolt holes originally had a raised circumference on the bolt head side of the cover, you can restore the raised circumference by placing the cover on a bench, engine side up.  Place a socket under the bolt hole (be sure the socket is flat against the cover under the bolt hole and not against the flange).  Place a large ball-bearing on the engine side of the hole and hit the bearing with a hammer.  In effect, you are trying to dimple the area around the hole (when seen from the engine side of the cover).  If you can't find a ball bearing of the appropriate size, you could use the ball end of a small ball-peen hammer, the face of which you would hit with another hammer.  Remember,  striking two hammers face to face is not recommended so wear safety glasses and proceed at your own risk.  And did I say you should wear safety glasses?  Good Luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop