News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

51 pinion seal

Started by CRAIG LEWIS, April 06, 2016, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRAIG LEWIS

Anyone have any idea of best place other than ebay to get a pinion seal for 51 series 62 has the cup style. I measured the outside radius of the cup and figure the diameter is about 4 and 7/8 which seems too big for the OD seals I see on ebay but I know it fits inside the cup and it tapers in a bit so figure it must be the 3 and 3/4 OD seal. I am hoping there is somewhere I can by a seal cheaper than ebay prices. Especially if I get the size wrong. Have not diassasembled it yet, prefer to be able to keep driving small amount till I have the seal. Yes I know it would be easy to just pull the shaft and yoke and remove the cup and seal to get the correct measurement but then I am stuck till I get the seal. Anyone know a source for these?  BTW- it is a police car used to belong to the city of Coolidge, AZ.  here is a pic of it now and a pic I tracked down from the officer that drove it back in the 80's.

Thanks Craig

Jay Friedman

Try Olcar Bearing Company, Southern Pines, N. Carolina, owner: George Bachleda.  Tel: (910) 693-3324.  No email address.

Never before heard of a Cadillac used as a police car.  Would love to see more photos.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

CRAIG LEWIS

Thanks. Don't know much on the history doubt it began life as a police car. Back in the day some of the small towns and sheriff depts. would use whatever they could not much in the budget for equipment out west. I think the car was donated and then turned into a police unit. It was in use through the early 90's. I tracked down the retired officer who once used to drive it he is in the photo which was taken by a passing photographer visiting Arizona from England back in 1989. He saw the unit as the train passsed through town and hoped off at the first stop and made his way back to Coolidge just to take pictures of it. Sometime in around 98 or so they stopped using it and it sat parked in the back lot at the police dept. until 2015 when I happened accross it by accident at an auction and grabbed it up. It was in bad shape. Had to replace engine and tranny. Did a little body work but mostly as it is  just cleaned up keeping the patina. Have to go through the brakes and front suspension before it is ready for any real driving. still have alot of gremlins to figure out. Pinnion seal is the easy fix. My replace ment engine has a knock I cant seem to trace down right now. not rod knock or piston slap but down right disturbing. Not sure maybe timing ping. I put a petronix unit in it so spark and timing may be a bit off. It was already converted to 12 volt. It is actually a 51 but the replacement motor is a 53.

Jay Friedman

On these cars the vacuum supply for the windshield washers, wipers and vacuum antenna is partially supplied from a vacuum pump which is integral with the fuel pump.  If there is a leak in one of the vacuum hoses or fittings at the bottom of the fuel pump (or elsewhere in the vacuum system), the pump will make a noise that closely mimics an engine knock that can, indeed, be "down right disturbing".  Check those hoses and brass fittings and if you are lucky that's all that it is.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

CRAIG LEWIS

Thought of that and had bypassed the fuel pump with an electric pump. Not my preference and will probably go back to the mechanical pump in the future. It did not have a pump when I got the 53 engine. I did make a block off plate for the oil filler neck where the pump went. There is no rod dangling in there where the pump was so I know it is not there. I spent the day reworking timing and regapped the plugs to .40 since i saw that it is recommended to open the gap a bit when using Petronix. I think it cleared up most of the issue. Much as i don't want to I think I will pull the intake and go back in and set up the distributor so it is correctly seated in the oil pump per posts about the indexing so the dizzy isn't 180 off. I had simply rotated the cap to get rid of the wobble but I think the rod going from the idler gear to the oil pump being off a bit might be throwing things out of balance.

Philippe M. Ruel

Two styles of pinion seals were used on Cadillacs these years.

One is available at AmazonDotCom, SKF 18948, about $20. This one does fit my own car, but I don't know whether it will fit yours.
1952 60 Special in France.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

If you have the cup style seal then you have to take it out and then remove the seal and install a new one in the  old housing.

This has bee discussed on the forum so you might do a search.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

CRAIG LEWIS

Thanks Phil I ordered the Amazon seal as it apppears to match the cup style. I had to do the same process for my 1947 so I have experienced the cup removal proess. Had to drill the hole to get the one out of the 47 but it wroked out well.

This site has been vey helpful with all my projects.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Craig,

When I remove the cup seal holder (I found heat works best since I don't have to drill holes in the seal to remove) and take out the old seal I replace it with SKF18671. Then install in the cup seal holder.

My opinion

the Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series