News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Buyer be ware! 60 Cadillac on EBay

Started by n2caddies, April 09, 2016, 08:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2caddies

On of our hobbies biggest frauds is at it again under another of a long list of ebay profiles. PM me if you want his name but I'm sure many of you know of whom I speak. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-DeVille-/252342811315?nav=SEARCH. Calls a 62 series convertible a Deville,  wrapped steering wheel to hide cracks and a different color, no cruise, painted dash cover, phony VIN, etc. probably a 2door with a wacked top. "Original black plate California car"?? Last I checked black plate cars came out in 63.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

I sent the seller a message asking what the engine number is.  Not because I am interested in bidding but I have a 1960 62 series convertible with factory tri power and that is quite rare.  The engine number would tell if it's a factory tri power car.  I also mentioned that the VIN should start with 60F.

I got no response from the seller.

Bidding is past the reserve and is at $60k

Anyone buying g a car on eBay sight unseen without getting it checked out deserves what they get.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

E-bay is a wonderful company and a benefit to our hobby.  E-bay tries to limit fraud.

However, E-bay buying can be fraught with friends and relatives with different last names (untraceable to seller via last name) bidding up cars.  You can never trust it and must do your own research and evaluation.  Whenever I bid on something, loose, and then am offered the opportunity to buy because the "high bidder dropped out", I always decline no matter what.

At a prestigious car show I had lunch with a classic car dealer and he told me how he has his brother in law bid up his used cars.  I was amazed at the level of strategy and deceit.  If buying on e-bay, I always place my bid with less than one minute left and enter in my best offer.  If the price is already beyond my limit, then no bid.

There is a 1959 Eldorado on E-bay now in white that is up to 125k.  Although it looks solid, a full restoration will be required.  When I saw the price, just presumed it was bid up by people with no intention of buying.  Very few cars in that shape are worth past 100k.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I have an extremely difficult time believing that in less one day a rodent of a '59 Biarritz is already passed $120K.

Doesn't pass the smell test. I could be wrong but I sincerely doubt it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

The '60 is listed as having cruise control.  I don't see the control knob on the dash, shouldn't it be to the left of the steering wheel?

Some sayings come to mind........

1) A fool and his money are soon parted.
2) There's a sucker born every minute.
3) Watch out where those huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow.   ;)
4) Look (inspect) before you leap (buy).

Others?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 09, 2016, 12:44:58 PM

snip......
At a prestigious car show I had lunch with a classic car dealer and he told me how he has his brother in law bid up his used cars.  I was amazed at the level of strategy and deceit. 

.....snip

I'm surprised they told you.  If I did that (I don't, its bulsh), I sure as h*** wouldn't tell anyone.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

n2caddies

Yep that's right. Look at the cover on the steering wheel the red painted trim screw on the left side of the dash pad that should be chrome and the improper badging on the rear quarter interior panel all clues. Why would you have all the attention on the interior and exterior photos and but one of the Tri Power engine that isn't even cleaned or detailed and as Brian pointed out is a huge deal on a 62 series. No underneath  pictures 'cause I bet the reinforcing of a convertible frame is not there and it is missing the small frame bracket 2A or 3A which unique to a 60 convertible.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

gary griffin

Go to eBay and look at the ratings of his bidders. So many are new, it looks to me like he has started more eBay accounts and also asks his friends to bid?  The quality of the bidders is suspicious. A couple of checks of their records will show you. I have over 800 reports on my eBay account and many are over 10K and up to 40K. I had one complaint for slow pay  about 15 years ago because my mothers sister was dying and I took her to California and forgot to pay for a small motorcycle part before I left. I have seen bidders with high numbers but they are for buying small items. I also buy small items of course.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In the greater scheme of things, there have been many instances of cars being touted as being "like new", "perfect show quality" etc that were of far lesser quality than the example shown here.

Caveat Emptor.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Tito Sobrinho

...and adding insult to injury, dice hanging from the rear view mirror!
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Definitely wouldn't want to be in any prang, wearing the seat belts the way they have been installed.   Too dangerous.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Smedly

When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Bobby B

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

not a fan of dice, but they sure easy to remove, so no issue really.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Quentin Hall

Hey you guys are too picky. It's a big world of used cars out there. Not all cars are perfect and when they are you dont or can't enjoy them. Looks like it's had a dash cap and the wheel might be cracked from 60 years. So what? Hardly decrepit. Hardly deceit. There is a thing called buyer beware and also no one is forcing anyone to bid. Why all this spook talk every time an expensive car comes on the market I don't understand??? There are buyers in every corner of the world now. Every car has its pluses and minuses. Let a buyer and a seller decide on a deal. It gets to be like comparing wives after a while.
         I can tell just looking at it that it is a genuine conv. I had a twin sister to this except no triplets and a white top.
    If you are gonna buy then of course do your homework but if not,  not really worth bagging the car. There are plenty of 60 cads for sale at any given time so I am pretty sure that someone willing to plonk down their cash will do their sums. Should we all
Pick it to death? Not sure?
PS, I  would love my 60 back. Lovely cars. Possibly enjoyed it more than my 59 Biarritz.. . . too many cars . . . not enough lifetime.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Chas

I have a different opinion, Mr. Hall. Over the last 40 years, I've built and raced both circle track and drag cars. Put together a few street rods. Thus, I'm no stranger to a wrench. However, I've only been involved in the "Cadillac" world for about 18 months now. As far as originality, I know enough that I can get myself in trouble.......very very fast! As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has got to know his limitations".
Hopefully, maybe 10 or 20 years down the road, I'll know enough about Cadillacs so that I can converse with some of the more knowledgable folks who post on this board. Until then, I'll rely on their expertise. I look forward to them calling out a charlatan, and thus allowing me to learn from it!
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

76eldo

It's always buyer beware.

In all fairness to the seller, he did put a name and a phone number in his listing for anyone with questions.

I sent him a message through the ebay system and asked for the engine number.  I got no response.

If I was interested in it I would have called him and requested a photo of the VIN number on the frame, and the engine number.

It's the buyer's responsibility to verify these things if the buyer is concerned about the car being legit.  If it is, it's a rare one.

If I were selling the car I would have taken and posted these photos to avoid any suspicion so he's either lazy or uninformed, or hiding something, and the VIN number makes no sense either.

As I said before, anyone who buys a car long distance without seeing these important things is foolish.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)