News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rims from my 46

Started by Smedly, April 10, 2016, 08:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smedly

So I finally got new (well almost new 95% tread) tires for my 46. They cam already mounted on a set of Chevy 5 on 5 rims. So they bolted on perfectly and I can now choose a matching set of caddy wheel covers from my collection to run. The rims that were on the car did not have enough lip on them to hold a set before, they have the little spring tabs around the bolting area. My question is are these rims worth trying to sell or are those spring clips worth anything to anybody. We have a few auto flea markets coming up that I could send them to with a friend but I would hate to take up the space in his truck if he is most likely going to bring them back home instead of a $20 bill.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Steve Passmore

My advice would be to hang on to those wheels because some future owner may want to revert the car back to factory and many years down the line they will be unobtainable. I have a 36 that came to me 20 years ago with the wrong wheels and it took me 12 years to find a correct set.   It will happen to your car one day. They will be worth a lot more than the $20 bill then.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Sheldon: 1946 wheels were like the wheel below with the spring clips around the bolt pattern to hold the cap. The wheel width was 5 1/2 inches from bead to bead. So do these pictures look like your 46 rims? If yes then the rims are worth trying to sell. Rims for the 700x15 tire, which was the standard size tire for the 62 series from 41 through 47, are becoming hard to find. Can you post a picture of your old rims?  Bill

Smedly

Bill, the first pic looks loke mine, but I would have to measure them to compare the second pic. I will do that tommorrow
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on April 10, 2016, 02:36:42 PM
62 series from 41 through 47, are becoming hard to find. Can you post a picture of your old rims?  Bill

There you go!  Hard to get already :o
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Smedly

I just went out to take a few pics, Bill I think mine are different, probably not original. Looking at your pictures it appears the centers of yours are welded in  mine are riveted. The wheel in pic 2 of mine is also different it only came with 3 clips not five while the others all have 5. The more I look at them I am thinking that they are worthless, except maybe the clips themselves? I don't think they are worth shipping anywhere, Am I wrong?
Sheldon Hay

Bill Ingler #7799

Sheldon: I agree that the wheel in number 2 picture does not appear to be a Cadillac wheel but picture 1, 3,4 and 5, I think are Cadillac. What appears to be a weld on my wheel is heavy paint put on by the powder coat then the paint dried with cracks appearing like weld. Pictures below shows my wheel is riveted. I would hold on to the 3 Cadillac wheels. You never know when you might find another wheel or two that match the 3 you already have and now you have a set. Yes the wheels you have need work and a couple of clips replaced but then you have what I believe are 3 original wheels.

You might demount the tires from the wheels and check the width from bead to bead which should be 5 1/2 inches for a 41-47 wheel for a 62 series. Now in 48 they made a wider rim wheel to accommodate  the new wider tire which was standard on the new designed Cadillac for 1948 and that width I think is about 6 inches bead to bead. Both the 41-47 wheel and the 48 wheel look the same with the difference being in width bead to bead. There are many stories about wrong year caps with the wrong year wheel causing ruined caps as well as damaging shirts when the caps flew off but that is another story.      Bill

Smedly

Thanks for the info Bill, What I did not think about as the rim in the trunk with my spare tire on it, maybe I do have a set of four. I will need to look at that later today.
Does anybody happen to know the weight of one Cadillac rim without a tire mounted on it? I would like to figure out an estimated shipping cost for someone who pm'd me about these rims.
Sheldon Hay