News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'67 eville 429 Staying on fast idle after warm up

Started by Julien Abrahams, April 18, 2016, 12:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hello everybody,

The other day I took my '67 Deville for a drive for the first tim in a month. I noticed that after the car had warmed up, it stayed at fast idle (instead of going to base idle). So I removed the air filter and when I checked, I noticed the choke valve was completely open and the choke had pulled the intermediate choke lever completely down. Normally this allows the fast idle cam to rotate when the throttle valves are opened so that the cam follower drops off the second step which results in the engine running at slow or what I like to call base idle.
I was wondering why it remained at fast idle, although it had completely warmed up.
Because the fast idle was really high (in my opinion) I turned the fast idle screw out by about half a turn to bring the fast idle somewhat down.
Is something binding (or needs to be lubricated)? I've had the car for 5 year now, and this is the first time it has happened.
I believe that I understand most of how the Quadrajet choke system works, but I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. Help is appreciated.

Julien.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Coupe Deville

With the air cleaner off, can you push the fast idle cam down with your finger, and does it stay there by it's self? I had a similar problem with the fast idle cam hanging up on the first step of the cam on my quadrajet on my 472 a few years ago. A little bit of silicone spray made the problem go away. When you think about it, gravity is the only thing that's going to pull the fast idle cam down. So if the linkage gets sticky, this can happen.
Let us know.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Jeff Moffo

Same thing occurred on my 1976. I actually took the choke element out. Seemed also that the choke was set too rich. I reset the choke and shot the fast idle linkage with carb cleaner and then a quick shot of WD 40.

Good luck.
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

67 has a divorced choke.  Problem most likely solved as Gavin suggests.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Julien Abrahams

Thanks for the replies guys! You're right. I can push the cam down by hand and it will stay there. If it jumps back, then usually the fast idle screw is too far out.
Now I think about it, gravity is the only thing that will pull the fast idle cam down as the spring tension is only there when it is pushed upwards by the choke link. I will try as you suggested as soon as I get the chance.
I will keep you informed.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Julien Abrahams

Update:
A bit of silicon spray appears to have done the trick. Thanks for the tips.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Jon S

Quote from: Julien Abrahams on May 05, 2016, 02:26:10 PM
Update:
A bit of silicon spray appears to have done the trick. Thanks for the tips.

Although silicon spray will fix it in the short term, it is best to spray the linkage with carburetor cleaner and keep the linkage totally dry and gum free.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT