News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 ignition points.

Started by gary griffin, April 18, 2016, 04:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

My friend is trying to start a 1953 67 series 4 door sedan. He is a mechanic by trade but nut too familiar with the older cars and is having trouble finding ignition points to start the car.  I suspect my spare points from my 1942  will work but not really sure and would appreciate the specifications for the correct points. The car is for sale in the Forum now but I could not add pictures from my phone? I would be happy to email them to anybody really interested.

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

harry s

Gary, Points from '49 up to I'm not sure when are different. They are a mirror image of the '48 back. NAPA should have the ones you are looking for.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

signart

+1 on NAPA, but take your old points with you and compare before you leave.
Art D. Woody

bullet bob

Quote from: signart on April 19, 2016, 03:25:25 PM
+1 on NAPA, but take your old points with you and compare before you leave.
Art is right. I've ordered from NAPA before. One is correct, the other is bass-ackwards. Compare.
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

TJ Hopland

My 2 cents worth on points:     

Unless you can find NOS stuff Standard Ignition brand Blue Streak series are the only points still made that so far still seem to be high quality.   Sadly many of the other brand names that used to be good are either long gone or nothing but a name anymore.  I don't deal with points engines a lot anymore but when I do that is often a problem spot.  Many times the story was 'points are new so that can't be the problem'.   After looking at other things I come back to the points and often times getting a good set takes care of the problem. 

Note to Standard Ignition advertising department, please make my next check out to CASH.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jay Friedman

Points are the same from '49 to '55 and are different from '56 onwards.)  The original Cadillac / Delco part number for 49-55 points is 1918148 and several NOS sets are currently for sale on ebay.  (Search on the part number.) 

The Standard Blue Streak points TJ Hopland mentions are good too and I have used those as well as original Delco points with equally good results in my '49. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

I was wondering when GM sort of standardized on the V8's,  looks like 56 ish to 74 were the ones that were the same?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dplotkin

You are correct. 56-74 GM points for V8's mostly the same.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

signart

NAPA carries some good points, but liked mentioned already, they have a part number that matches up to a backward set for '53.
Art D. Woody

harry s

The backwards or mirror image ones fit flatheads from '48 back to '37 (not sure about '36). I ran into the same problem and the only way to convince the parts guy was to have the old ones.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

bcroe

There were distributors turning either direction well past points being
phased out.  As I recall 2 of my 60s cars (with different rotation)
used what appeared to be identical points, but different part numbers. 
Close inspection revealed my 62 points had a shorter wire, probably
because of the mounting orientation.  When they got to be scarce, I
just used the later number points with the wire looped to make a
perfect fit.  Bruce Roe

signart

Quote from: harry s on April 25, 2016, 08:33:40 PM
The backwards or mirror image ones fit flatheads from '48 back to '37 (not sure about '36). I ran into the same problem and the only way to convince the parts guy was to have the old ones.     Harry
I just told the guy to give me some for '55, and wa la.
Art D. Woody