News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 ELDO AC module

Started by Viator Trudeau, April 19, 2016, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Hello all: this post is a repeat, still looking for a fix to my short A C module  life.  I have replaced the A C motor, that was not a fix.  Any ideas out there.  Thanks.

V, Trudeau

TJ Hopland

Refresh my memory on this.    What are you referring to as the motor?  The thing under the dash kinda in the middle or maybe a little to the right?     And by short you mean you replaced it and it worked for a while but then had the same issue again?    Are the replacements rebuilt or just used? 

Also I can't remember are you in the USA? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Viator Trudeau

T.J.   my bad, its  on my 91 Brougham,  its the A C motor control module short life, the most recent A C control module lasted 50 miles with a new
A C fan motor,which was considered the reason for the past 2  modules burning out, motor drawing too much current.  When this happens the A C motor runs all the time., got to pull the power wire on motor to stop it.  In the last 12 months I have had 3 modules replaced two from scrap yards and one from a well known parts supplier, no more than 200 miles on all three modules.  Any ideas on this??   I am in Chesapeake, VA.

bcroe

Quote from: Viator Trudeauits  on my 91 Brougham, its the A C motor control module short life, the most recent A C control module lasted 50 miles with a new
A C fan motor,which was considered the reason for the past 2  modules burning out, motor drawing too much current.  When this happens the A C motor runs all the time., got to pull the power wire on motor to stop it.  In the last 12 months I have had 3 modules replaced two from scrap yards and one from a well known parts supplier, no more than 200 miles on all three modules. 

It sounds to me, like the module has a transistor controlling the motor; when
the transistor shorts out, the motor runs full continuously.  A transistor can fail
from overheating, is there a heat sink involved?  Speed control might be done
by pulsing the motor, did it fail while set at a lower speed?  Pulsed operation
will require a "kickback" diode; if that is missing, voltage spikes will take out
the transistor.  There might be spikes from elsewhere, could there be any 12V
filters involved or perhaps a defective alternator?  Bruce Roe