News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

50 series 62 Steering column refurbish

Started by Fred Borisuk, April 20, 2016, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Borisuk

My first post, bear with me, please.  I'm down to my last , almost, issue with my 40 yr. barn find.  Wiggly gear shift selector, horn wire contact missing, loose steering,  the usual.  I'd like to send it out to get refurbished. Tried Columns Galore, but no dice there.  Any thoughts?
F Borisuk

Jay Friedman

You can fix the wiggly gear shift selector.  There is an article explaining how on www.1949Cadillac.com,click on Transmission or if you email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com I'll email you a clearer version. 

Which part of the horn contact is missing?  The one under the steering wheel or the part on the lower steering column under the hood?

Loose steering sometimes is merely tightening the large nut on the bottom of the steering column.  The 50 shop manual should explain how to do it.  It has a lock nut which you loosen and then tighten the main nut.  On my '49 the main nut has little "arm" or tabs that you can tap with a hammer to tighten it and your 50 may be the same. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Fred Borisuk

Wowzers, Jay, it can't be this easy.  I'll check out the  website for the wiggly shifter.   The contactor beneath the steering wheel is missing and I think there is a short in the wire anyway.  Can the wire be pulled out. but how do I get to it at the bottom without pulling the whole thing apart? Hmmmmm.

Fred Borisuk

Ok, sew..... My loose shifter is not back and forth, that spring works,  but sideways.  Where is the slop coming from? At the top or the bottom?  Can the horn wire be replaced by disconnecting at the bottom and pulling out the top? Hmmmmm.

Jay Friedman

Best thing is to put in a complete wire with an upper contact which you'll have to get second hand from a parts car or wherever.  Contact Joe Cutler at 49caddymanemail addresses not permitted who may have one and who can also tell you how to install it.

Basically, you can access the bottom of the horn wire by first removing the contact plate with the wire attached to it on the lower steering column under the hood.  Inside you'll see there is a brass or copper contact ring around the lower steering tube.  Then jack up the front wheels until they are slightly off the ground and turn the steering wheel until you reveal where the lower end of the horn wire is soldered to the ring.  You can unsolder this wire, run a good wire down there and solder it on.  It's not easy because of the location way down under the hood, but can be done.  I won't say anything further since I've never done it myself, but my friend Joe has done this and can help you better.

I don't know the cure for up and down looseness of the shift lever, as the problem can be anywhere between the lever on the steering column and the lever on the transmission.  All I can suggest is that you have an assistant move the lever up and down while you observe the movement on the lever protruding from the lower steering column under the hood and, if necessary, the lever at the transmission under the car. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

gary griffin

Fred, have you replaced the grommets in the shift linkage? That is easy to do and not costly.  I would start with that!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jay Friedman

Steele Rubber Products sells the grommets Gary mentions.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984