News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Cadillac 60 Special "Dog Wagon" owned by Geraldine Rockefeller Dodge

Started by dazilka, April 21, 2016, 09:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazilka

I’ve been searching for information about the 1939 Cadillac “dog wagon” limousines that Geraldine Dodge had custom built for transporting her crated show dogs.  It appears that there were actually two Special 60s, a six and an 8 door.

Although I’ve found images of the two “dog wagons,” there is no indication of what happened to these unique automobiles.   I’ve spoken with several vintage Cadillac / LaSalle collectors and aficionados but no one was aware of Mrs. Dodge’s 1939 Cadillacs.  The general consensus is that the cars were so unique that it was unlikely they had been scrapped.

Several individuals over the last year mentioned that one of the Cadillacs was seen approximately 10 years ago in a barn located in northern New Jersey

Any information or help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached via email, dzilka@me.com or via mobile phone 401.743.4215.

Thank you in advance for any help.

J. Skelly

It looks like two different vehicles.  The first photo appears to be a car with three doors per side.  The other photos appear to be a car with four doors per side.  The rack/tent areas look different, too.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Alan Harris CLC#1513

The December 1939 picture shows an eight door car. The picture of the six door car shows 1951 New Jersey License plates.

Either there were two cars or she had the car made smaller sometime after 1939. I think it more likely that there were two cars.

For the sake of her driver, I hope there was a divider window. The barking of 12 dogs in one car must have been painful!

dazilka

Alan and J Kelly .... I think you are both absolutely spot on.  After examining the images a tad closer today it appears that there were 2 different 1939 Special 60s, .........   one being an 8 door pictured in the "Kennel Review", December 1939 and the second car, a 6 door with 1951 NJ plates.  It now appears that my search has widened to 2 cars Cadillac Special 60s.  Thank you. 

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I hope at least one of them is still around and that you find it.

It has always been one of my favorite eccentric cars.