News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mystery Curves '60 Biarritz side trim

Started by Whit, April 21, 2016, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

I have purchased two sets of the infamous 'C' shaped side trim pieces for a 1960 Eldorado Biarritz. I believe that these also fit the 1960 62 Series convertible. From the attached photo one can notice the very different curvatures of the upper and lower pieces. The lower piece is from a 62 Series and also fits the curvature of my Biarritz.
The upper piece does not fit my Biarritz and I'm wondering what it might fit. I didn't know there were similar side trims with slightly different curvatures.
Can anyone enlighten me about the differences and what the upper set might fit?

Whit                      whitmcfarlin@msn.com

David Greenburg

Whit:

Do you mean they should fit the Biarritz and the Seville? This trim was not used on the series 62 (or anything other than the Eldos), and the piece should be the same for either the Biarritz or the Seville.  I'm wondering if one of the pieces got bent.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Whit

I was told that the shallower curved pieces came off a 62 Series. Could it have been a Seville?  Both pieces of each set are  curved identically, one set shallow the other sharper. Since these are thin 'U' channel shapes I don't think they could be bent without kinking.
Still a mystery for now.
Thanks for the thoughts
Whit

David Greenburg

That trim was Eldorado-only.  Maybe not kinked, but flattened from being stored improperly? 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Whit

David:

I think it was also used on Seville. I 'may' be able to manipulate it but it is a scary task over brand new paint.
I'll look at it tomorrow again.

Whit

76eldo

Whit,

The trim you are showing would be for the Eldorado Biarritz and Eldorado Seville only and they are both 64 series cars.  The 62 Series convertible does not have this type of trim. 

The bent one can be straightened by a shop that fixes and polishes stainless, and most chrome shops offer this service.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

76eldo

I did not know you needed one of these.

I purchased some Biarritz/Seville trim and have a set of these.  One is bent but the other one is fine.
Are these symmetrical and same right to left?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

Brian
I didn't know that you had these. I ended up with two sets so I'm good for now.
I do still need the right side release molding that goes from the end of the door to the fin molding.
Whit 

Whit

With the encouragement of more knowledgeable folks than myself, I ventured forth and slowly bent the 'U' shaped trim bead 'C's to fit the car. It all worked out fine and I'm pleased with the results.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, I was a bit timid and didn't want to trash one of these hard to find pieces. I sent the other set out for polishing and will eventually sell them.

Whit           whitmcfarlin@msn.com