News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hi, I need advise on how to do 66 heads best way...

Started by Joe Picone, April 27, 2016, 09:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Picone

I have one head with one valve guide severely worn, and that valve seat also.  it has 63,000 on it and the seal went bad, and then the wear of course, resulting in fouled plug from oil.   should I get the heads rebuilt or are there fine parts available or ?  you tell me.  thanks joe picone, carmel,ny

Bobby B

Have BOTH heads done, or the car will have uneven compression and run poorly. Doing one valve/seat is just a band-aid. It's cheap enough. New valves, guides, springs, seals, etc., should run you less than $400, all in, with machining. Also, make sure your bottom end is worthy. I've seen many top ends done, putting a strain on a worn lower end, leading to an eventual rebuild.
                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

Bobby is 100% correct and I would advise the same.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jay Friedman

I agree with Bobby and Scot. 

In addition, you should make sure the machine shop "Magna-Fluxes" the heads to check for cracks. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."